Scale ignition wires, off topic?

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, JackF

itspcb

Scale ignition wires, off topic?

Post by itspcb » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:31 am

I'm making my first IC engine, the spark plug is 1 inch long. Conventional car/bike wires look well off scale. What do you guys use?.
I've wondered about the piezo electric wires from gas stoves.

Thanks,

Peter B
uk

Doug_C

Re: Scale ignition wires, off topic?

Post by Doug_C » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:50 pm

If the piezo units fit the bill, why not. Don't know if they are heat resistant though. Most of the igniters I have seen have their connection outside the heat area.

I purchased some wires ready made to fit VK3 plugs at a model show, but couldn't say who made them.

In a pinch(cheap!), I have often thought of making up a simple wax mold and injecting butyl or silicon rubber into it. Either using the wire terminal in the mold or coring it to insert the wire after molding.

Weed eater motors of all types might offer replacement parts like this too. If these are a standard plug, I would think some OEM to have a boot to fit them.

Check with Cole's Power Models.

Or this link?

Plug Wires Etc.

DC

itspcb

Re: Scale ignition wires, off topic?

Post by itspcb » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:05 pm

Doug thanks for the info & thoughts. I plan an electronic buzz coil with a motor cycle coil as the generator. Will graft whatever wire I end up with to conventional ht wire using shrink sleeving, silicone, etc as you suggest, off scale bits hidden under the model, hopefully two nice slim wires feeding the plugs.But I do appreciate you can't beat physics!

Peter B
uk