IC Engine Crankshaft

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, JackF

e2cub

IC Engine Crankshaft

Post by e2cub » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:59 am

Hi, Any comments on using a large bolt like a grade 8, AN or NAS to make a crankshaft for an engine like the Mills 1.3 using the bolt head for the crank end? Thanks, Larry

Harold_V

Re: IC Engine Crankshaft

Post by Harold_V » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:14 am

While I'm not familiar with the crank of which you speak, using a grade 8 bolt should serve you well, assuming you can get the crank out of the bolt without using heat. Considering the grade 8 is made from heat treatable material, you'll alter it's qualities if you heat it. If you must do so, I'd suggest you totally anneal it, so you don't create stresses from heating and quenching. If you have proper heat treat capabilities, even that wouldn't be a problem, assuming you could provide a proper draw after heating and quenching.

Good luck----why don't you let us know how it goes with the bolt?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

e2cub

Re: IC Engine Crankshaft

Post by e2cub » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:41 am

Harold, Thanks for the response. I would try to machine the bolt without anealing or heat treating. I have used grade 5 and AN bolts in projects, but never tried grade 8 bolts. Will see how it goes. The Mills 1.3 is a diesel model air plane engine. It is one of the projects in the first issue of Model Engine Builder magazine. A great magazine. Larry