Prototypical prime mover (diesel engine)

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

primal

Post by primal »

I was wondering after seeing pictures of all these small prototype motors as a train buff with no experience of any kind in machining. I was wondering if a replica of a 4400HP diesel locomotive prime mover could be built to run just like the real thing in 1:8 scale with the same look. If so how could I go about building one and what kind of cost would I be looking at?
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

A month ago I went to the Men, Metal amd Machine show in Visalia CA. I could not belive some of the model IC engines there that ran. It would take either a lot of time or money but it could be done. That is the kind of modeling I love. But still prefer Steam.

David
vfmvfm

Re: Prototypical prime mover (diesel engine)

Post by vfmvfm »

primal wrote:I was wondering after seeing pictures of all these small prototype motors as a train buff with no experience of any kind in machining. I was wondering if a replica of a 4400HP diesel locomotive prime mover could be built to run just like the real thing in 1:8 scale with the same look. If so how could I go about building one and what kind of cost would I be looking at?
A V16 2 stroke say, typical of many EMD locos, is not practical at 1:8 with a diesel. The torque ends up being high for a long crankshaft. An analogy would be the design of a steam boiler where the thermodynamic don't scale but can be made to work, albeit differently.

You could fake it, but I'd rather have a working diesel.