1867 Otto Langen IC engine

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

rog/tn

1867 Otto Langen IC engine

Post by rog/tn »

Any interest in plans to a 1/8 scale model of the 1867 Otto-Langen IC engine?
rog/tn
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

sure interest, cost?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
rog/tn

Post by rog/tn »

Dave,
I have redrawn the plans to the 1867 Otto-Langen IC engine from plans that someone purchased several years ago. I have not been able to locate the original author of the plans... There is no name or address or copy right mark on the plans I have. If anyone knows who may have drawn the original, pls contact me.

That being said, I have redrawn the plans using parametric modeling (Inventor) with 3d and assembled views of most parts. There are 30 pages of color plans available in PDF format. I have built a Non-working model of this engine. I am confident it would run if I had the equipment to hone the cylinder.

I would like to sell these plans for about $25. However, I do not want to violate any copy right laws or rules on this forum. I want to be fair to all concerned.

I would appreciate input from experienced members on this forum.
rog/tn
Mike_Henry

Post by Mike_Henry »

I've got a set of 1867 Otto-Langen plans by Emmet Lenaz from Slidell, LA that were purchased at NAMES about 9 years ago. My latest communication from him was in 1999. This plan set was drawn on 11x17 paper.

Each of the drawings has a title block with "E. Lenaz" in one field and "3-6-99" in another field.

If your original plans don't have this info, they are probably not from the same plan set, unless someone made a copy and excluded the title block.

If you'd like we can compare dimensions on one of the parts to see if they are the same plans set. The "Rack Guide Bar, Detail 8" on my set might make a good candidate for that purpose but I'm open to suggestions.

Mike
Mike, near Chicago
rog/tn

Post by rog/tn »

Thanks Mike. There is no name or copy right on the drawings I have.
I have sent you a pvt PM. Will be glad to send you a copy of my new plans for you to review against the plans that you have.
rog/tn
Mike_Henry

Post by Mike_Henry »

rog,

I'll check the PM and reply there.

Mike
Mike, near Chicago
rog/tn

Post by rog/tn »

Mike, it appears that the Original plans I have were also drawn by Emmit Lenaz. All attempts to date, to locate Mr Lenaz have failed.
I have also tried to locate other sources of plans... have found none.
Grennings website is no longer active.

If any readers of this forum know how to contact Mr Lenaz or of any other source of plans for the Otto-Langen engine, pls let me know.

Pending no legal concerns, I will make my plans available for sale after the 1st of the year.
rog/tn
len fordy

Re: 1867 Otto Langen IC engine

Post by len fordy »

Hi to all.
I just joined the group and I am looking for a set of plans for the Otto- Langen engine. From what I can find out Emmet Lenaz of La who first made the plans has passed away and there does not seem to be anyplace else to obtain the plans.
Hope you can help.
Thanks,
Len
Mike_Henry

Post by Mike_Henry »

Rog may be selling the Langen plans now. Is there a consensus on Mr. Lenaz's status? It would be a shame to trample on his copyright.

Mike
Mike, near Chicago
rog/tn

Post by rog/tn »

Len..
I still have the Parametric Model plans that were based on Mr Lenaz original plans. I have generated a totally new set of 3D plans using Inventor Parametric modeling software. These plans are for a 1/8 scale model. I Have built a 1/16 scale model and am working on plans for this smaller model. At 1/16, scale this would be a perfect project for the smaller CNC mills (Like Sherline). I can provide plans in PDF format or perhaps DFX format.
I have conflicting information on the copyright issues. I do not want to violate anyone's copy right. That being said, I have shared my plans with a few interested hobbyist. Will be glad to send pictures of the 1/8 and 1/16 scale models.
rog/tn
JackF

Post by JackF »

Rog,

I found a Johnnie Marie Lenaz in Slidell, La,. I suggest you try to contact this person to see if they are a relation and if they have any info of a copyright before selling any copies.

Jack.
rog/tn

Post by rog/tn »

Thanks Jack. I'll try to follow up.
I don't think there will be any copyright issues with the plans to the 1/16 scale model.
rog/tn