Making your own Flywheel

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Bruce

Making your own Flywheel

Post by Bruce »

Okay, I have a friend who has a very intersting 1948 Danish moped. He has everything but the flywheel. Is it possible to make a flywheel for this bike? I guess placement of the magnets and their polarity is a concern but I don't know that much. We have gooogled the brand name and it does not turn up anywhere. Any advice would help and thanks.
dly31

Re: Making your own Flywheel

Post by dly31 »

Assuming the moped has points, it would be very easy to convert the engine to battery and coil ignition. Then a flywheel could be made without magnets for the ignition magneto. If there are other considerations such as lighting and/or battery charging then perhaps a small external generator/alternator could be fitted.

If you could measure the pole spacing and diameter required for the magnets it may be possible to find a flywheel suitable for modification. There are an awful lot of small engine flywheels with magnets but it would require a lot of searching. I would take the engine around to all the small engine shops I could find to see if they might know of something that could be modified. It may be feasible to change the magneto coil to match an otherwise suitable flywheel.

Good Luck!
Don Young
Bruce

Re: Making your own Flywheel

Post by Bruce »

Thanks very much Don. Everything that you've suggested sounds doable.