3-in-1 Advice Needed from the Experts

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Blaster2019

Re: 3-in-1 Advice Needed from the Experts

Post by Blaster2019 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:23 pm

SteveHGraham wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:17 pm
My advice is not to buy anything used unless someone who knows what he's doing can look at it for you first. Learning to machine is a challenge. Fixing a screwed-up machine tool before you learn to machine is just too much.
Believe it or not I liked fixing things and would probably learn a lot from it as well. I remember back a few years and I took a basket case JD Gator 6x4 and completely rebuilt it. However, I need working tools to do this, hence your suggestion is well taken.

Blaster2019

Re: 3-in-1 Advice Needed from the Experts

Post by Blaster2019 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:44 pm

toddalin wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:23 pm
Both machines are by the same company with the difference (e.g., # of motors) by generation. you can go to the Shoptask website and they have the history of their machines. I have the Tri-Power with manual feed , power feed , and full CNC control and 3-axis digital readout (Jenix DRO).
https://www.shopmasterusa.com/

This is similar to mine but mine is in nicer shape and I added table limit switches after I exceeded the limits and broke the spline shaft on the Y-power feed because their scale was so far off. Know that with ANY CHINESE MACHINE you may spend as much time fixing it as working with it. Also know that when these are assembled, they have all the parts in the world to choose from (and do). But if you break a part, and get a replacement (if you even can), it probably won't fit, at least to the same tolerances. I had to buy three spline shafts from ShopMasters competition (Smithy) and one of the three fit and then it had to be cut down in length to make it work. Luckily I was still able to use the mill portion to cut this length.

https://youtu.be/58pkC9UH07k
Good info and appreciate the video as it got my blood pumping wishing I had one already... :)