lines left from turning steel (striations)

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: lines left from turning steel (striations)

Post by Harold_V »

Torch wrote:However, doing it for money on somebody else's schedule? It just wouldn't be the same.
I operated my shop in a very reliable method. I recognized the importance of meeting schedules, so, as a result, on more than one occasion I had to pull a marathon--the longest one about 26 hours, in order to meet a delivery schedule. Sure does take the shine off something you used to enjoy!

Interestingly, I'm still not fond of running the machines, but I enjoy the fact that I can bail out on pretty much any problem I encounter. Even wood working, something I don't understand well.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dan

Post by Dan »

I'm retired from The U.S. Merchant Marine. 26 hr days were not uncommon and bad days were longer. Hated it. Happiest days of my life were when I got out of it. (I no longer believe in gravity. Most of the earth makes a sucking sound)

But was my fault as I had literally signed on for it over and over and knew what I was getting into. When I quit, I had no idea what to do. Tieing knots and moving large ships is not a marketable skill unless you want to steer large ships and tie knots. Got a job with roto-rooter and loved it. Really loved it. Only had to work 90 hrs a week and was fun.
Some men are born to "stuff" Others have "stuff" thrust upon them.

But we may be giving bad advice to younger people who are looking at their options. I am a firm believer in do what you love and you will not work a day in your life.

My point being that not following a passion is like not marrying someone you like because you will tire of them and marry someone you don't care for.

My main occupation now is driving. I have a little courier business. I have a windowed office that corners. Head bapping. Toe tapping down the highway at a dollar a mile baby! There are times I don't wanna be stuck in traffic and there are times I am tooling down the road, smilin', jamin and waving at the nice people.

All perspective, for sure. But if I do any thing to much, it gets old. And if my bottom line is the bottom line, time for a change.

Had a buddy take the position not to turn a hobby into a profession and talk a younger guy out of working on bicycles for a living. The kid seems mostly happy but always wished I had advised more strongly follow yer dreams.

Life is to short. And so am I.
Dan
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Dan wrote:While turning steel round stock, it is leaving some pretty bad striations.

The piece is hanging out to far but can't get a live center close enough and part won't fit in chuck beyond the jaws.

Any thoughts? And thanks for reading. :D
As a newbie I was wondering, "do you have a floating mill that allows you to get your spindle that close to the chuck?" Is your lathe a 3-In-One? The picture just seems strange to me. Thanks