lines left from turning steel (striations)

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Dan

Re: lines left from turning steel (striations)

Post by Dan »

Sitting here thinking about it, Bill. Ya have no idea how long and how many late nights it took me to come up with this design and you just whip out a drawing and link to a similar part in minutes.

Really glad I found you folks and realized how much there is and can be learned here.

Was saying this elsewhere but is so cool to instead of saying "they oughta make a..." Rather to be able to think it and make one.
A lot of the time, find why something won't work but thats just part of the fun.
Dan
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

There's a lot of sharp folks here....a lot sharper than me too.

I find the design, and the design & making of tooling, fixtures & jigs more fun than making the part. First one or two parts are fun, but after that....all the thinkin' is done, and making more is kinda boring.

Could just be me.

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Dan

Post by Dan »

That piece has a varying circumference down it's length. Not sure it will matter terribly but is not perfect which is annoying to say the least.

Had trouble with over hang and that part. Couldn't find a ready made live center extender. Or even a DIY one.

So took a busted up bike wheel axle and a ball bearing, ball from it and made one. Well, stuck the axle in a bit chuck on the tailstock, counter sunk a dimple in the part to be turned. The axle already has one so just stuck the ball between. Works great, stands off the tail stock and didn't heat up as I expected.

Will have to help some. Me hopes.... :P

(Just a pc of old round stock used to test)
Attachments
larry extended live center.jpg
Dan
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Get yourself an MT extension. Handy for reaching across the carriage.

I think I picked this one up on fleaBay.
MT Extension.jpg
Bill
Dan

Post by Dan »

Cool, Thanks! I tried every variation of "live center extension" I could think of. LOL, I really have to learn the language.
Dan
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Look-out!
The more you learn...the more you'll be openin' up your wallet!

Bill
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

ShopMaster/ShopTask has a live center extender for their 3-in-1s. One came with my machine. Maybe you can get one from them.
Dan

Post by Dan »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Look-out!
The more you learn...the more you'll be openin' up your wallet!

Bill
LOL, Bill! Now ya tell me.

---------------------------------

Cool, thanks Toddalin. They have some cool stuff. Never ran across them, before.

http://shopmasterusa.com/12-tooling.

---------------------------------

Edited out for more testing.......
Dan
Dan

Post by Dan »

Was taking advantage of the season coupons from ENCO and with the help of Sabrina, found this.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PART ... A=214-8622
Dan
Dan

Post by Dan »

Part came out functional but very ugly. Was or is a practice piece so as a proof of concept, am pretty happy!

Ran into a problem. (oddly enough with the math) I have to remove 1/32 off the keys intrinsic in the bores. I was hoping to find a broach to size but no luck after searches.

Tried a drilling and reaming but is very sloppy. Pushing material off to the side. I could hand file it but is time consuming and I think poor results.

The bore is 3/4 and I need to remove 1/32 off the key.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Attachments
internal key.jpg
internal key.jpg (10.89 KiB) Viewed 9413 times
Dan
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Dan wrote:Part came out functional but very ugly. Was or is a practice piece so as a proof of concept, am pretty happy!

Ran into a problem. (oddly enough with the math) I have to remove 1/32 off the keys intrinsic in the bores. I was hoping to find a broach to size but no luck after searches.

Tried a drilling and reaming but is very sloppy. Pushing material off to the side. I could hand file it but is time consuming and I think poor results.

The bore is 3/4 and I need to remove 1/32 off the key.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Simple. Fashion a tool that you can mount in the spindle of a mill, then stroke the material, taking passes about two thou deep. HSS is the choice, not carbide, as you're likely to chip the cutting edge otherwise.

You likely understand that the tool is not rotated in use---it's held stationary in the mill spindle as a means of permitting the stroking action you require, as well as to permit precise removal of the material.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Purty cool Harold, thanks.
Dan