Getting my new G9729 Grizzly up running! Help

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

redneckalbertan

Re: Getting my new G9729 Grizzly up running! Help

Post by redneckalbertan »

LX Kid wrote:I think I know where a broken aluminum rifle cleaning rod is that I can make a pin.
LX Kid wrote:I found a brass rifle cleaning rod to make a pin for the lead screw drive.
I think I am seeing a trend here...
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

redneckalbertan wrote:
LX Kid wrote:I think I know where a broken aluminum rifle cleaning rod is that I can make a pin.
LX Kid wrote:I found a brass rifle cleaning rod to make a pin for the lead screw drive.

Trend???? "Waste not want not!" Went to the flea market this morning and scored two 0-1" Mic's for $3 each and 5 new Mo-Max 1/2" Cobalt and HSS tool post bits for $20.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Gotta go unde my shop and shore up the floor joists. Noticed that I have some bounce in from of the lathe. I put two 4x4's under the floor joists where the old lathe sat several years ago but am sure they need shimming up after 6 years.
redneckalbertan

LX Kid wrote:
redneckalbertan wrote:

Trend???? "Waste not want not!"
I never said it was a bad trend!
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Didn't realize how much trouble it would be to get some spindle lube here locally. Asked all around town about getting some but finally had to order it online. Ordered Mobile DTE, ISO 68 and should be here in a couple / three days.

I also did a few test cuts and really like the way it cuts! Smooth as silk, no chatter and working good with the HSS cutters.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

My head stock oil came yesterday and if it weren't so "blasted" hot I'd get out there and change it. I think it will be cooler tonight, LoL Maybe my first project will be a ball turning jig. A man can't do without balls! LoL
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

LX Kid wrote:Just did a dumb dumb! UPS just arrived with my new steady and follow rests that I ordered from Bolton Hardware. I "assumed" their AT750 12" 3-In-One was the same as a Grizzly G9729 12" 3-In-One. "Wrong assumption!" The Bolton rests' are too low. Looks like it's about 2" on the low side. Soooo now I have to return, with 25% restocking fee plus shipping, or see what I can do on eBay. Grizzly doesn't even list them for this lathe.
Just so I would have a follow rest I went ahead and ordered one from Grizzly. Wow how expensive it was. It was $175 delivered. I had not ordered it but 1.5 hours before and found Wholesale Tools selling the same thing, just different color, for $59! Called Grizzly to cancel order and they said it had just shipped. "Right." Now I have to send it back for refund plus 10% restocking fee. The center rest Wholesale Tools had was only $69 so I ordered that as well. Probably seldomly use them but now I feel my lathe in complete.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Wouldn't you just know it???? I've been working on my new Grizzly 3-In-One for couple of weeks now getting it all trammed up, adjusted and working great! Now my buddy has just bought a larger Clausing and wanted to know if I wanted to buy his South Bend Heavy 10, for really cheap, cause he needs the room. The Heavy 10 comes with more extras than the law otta allow. He has five other lathes and wants to let this '40's lathe go. Yes he is in the machine shop business. I'm now thinking of going ahead and buying it and storing it until I can do something with my 3-In-One. Price is too good to pass up and I know that is the lathe he goes to when he wants close tolerance accuracy. 3-Phase would have to be dealt with for me to use it. Do I need this lathe? No. Do I want this South Bend? Yes.

Of course my shop's floor joists would collapse with the weight. (More money) Of course I'd have to change either the motor or 3-phase conversion. (More money)
redneckalbertan

VFD.

They make running small 3phase motors in the home shop easy!