Things to make it better!

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

redneckalbertan

Re: Things to make it better!

Post by redneckalbertan »

I had not meant a groove on the shaft; but if that will work, I'd gladly take the credit for the idea!
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

redneckalbertan wrote:I had not meant a groove on the shaft; but if that will work, I'd gladly take the credit for the idea!
After giving the looseness of the gib lock a little more thought, I think it's better to just leave it alone. By locking it down and putting the lead screw on I ruined my half nut a couple of weeks ago. That was an $80 lesson learned. I'll just retighten it if it flops down again. :lol:
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

I installed my exhaust fan and don't think it's working too well. It's cooler, meaning less hot, at the top but not much difference in the overall heat in the shop. Next step will be to install some insulation on the top and West exposure wall. I really hate thinking about the work involved with moving all the just to get access to the walls. Then there will be installing the air-con after insulating.

The big "shade" tree is no longer there. Lightning hit it and had to have it removed. That's when all my heat problems began in my shop.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Ron, :D
This might make some things better.. 8)
- - -
Lathe Modifications Catalog
http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTLatheMods.htm
- - -
Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

ken572 wrote:Ron, :D
This might make some things better.. 8)
Lathe Modifications Catalog
http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTLatheMods.htm
Ken. :)
Thanks Ken! That is really a cool site. Some of them are no longer there though. But the ones that are there are really informative.
pete

Post by pete »

Sorting out that carriage lock is probably a pretty simple fix. Figure out exactly what your thread pitch is, then go onto the MSC Industrial website. Do a search for ratcheting, or adjustable handles. You can get them in plastic or steel. J.W. Winco would be just one good manufacturer. They work just like yours does now, but you pull the handle out towards you and twist, you can then set the handle to whatever position you want. If the threads are sloppy and allow the handle to swing down anyway's? Just wrap some of the threads with a bit fairly thin fishing line. Or, you could just drill the end of the screw, then shove a small spring in that tightly fit's the hole,yet extends out past the end of the screw. That should apply a bit of friction or tension on the threads and keep the handle from dropping. Due to the crappy threads on some of this equipment you might end up redrilling and then retapping to the next larger thread size, use a tap drill that gives you about a 80% thread form. Then install one of those ratcheting handles. Keep the threads oiled to reduce the wear.

Pete
16WhiteColly

Post by 16WhiteColly »

An independent 4 jaw chuck. I removed the 5” 3 jaw and replaced it with a 6” 4 jaw. I had bought an 8” 4 jaw but it felt like a little too much weight for the spindle bearings. Never mounted it. Use it for a mill chuck.
40 year retired machinist.