Accurizing your 3 in 1

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

NateD

Accurizing your 3 in 1

Post by NateD »

I've been watching some videos and things people have done to make their lathes more accurate. All of these have been stand alone lathes or mills, not 3 in 1's. I'd be interested in hearing what some of the members here have done. One of the things I was considering was cleaning up the surfaces on my compound and cross slide.
Harold_V

Re: Accurizing your 3 in 1

Post by Harold_V »

Cleaning up the surfaces on the compound and cross slide may or may not be a good idea. A great deal depends on what you mean by "cleaning up", and which of the surfaces you intend to alter. If you're discussing the slide surfaces, you may end up with something you didn't bargain for unless you understand proper scraping and have the necessary equipment to ensure that you are improving the surfaces instead of degrading them.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
16WhiteColly

Re: Accurizing your 3 in 1

Post by 16WhiteColly »

On my 9729, I have modified the slide locks, adjusted the gibs on both slides and done some backlash adjusting on the cross slide and it is pretty accurate and repeatability is good now. I also centered the tailstock. I remove the 5” 3 jaw chuck and installed a 6” 4 jaw chuck. I used the blank chuck adapter plate that came with the machine, and machined it in position. The chuck is right on.
40 year retired machinist.