Ames Triplex

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Scottman

Re: Ames Triplex

Post by Scottman »

Here are some pics, RN.

Sorry for the delay.

Scott
Triplex-complete-machine-with-base-3275.jpg
Triplex-from-front-3270.jpg
Triplex-from-the-end-3271.jpg
Triplex-motor-side-3278.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That is a fascinating and robust machine!
I guess that the counter weight is in the main column?
Thanks for sharing.
~RN
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Hi,

RN, I believe you're correct about the counterweight. That is one of the issues with my machine. The counterweight is not connected, so that is something I will need to sort out.

Scott
Last edited by Scottman on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper 25

Post by Jasper 25 »

Scottman wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:56 pm Hello, I have recently purchased one of these fascinating machines (SN 1065). It seems to have been well-respected throughout its working life and is generally in very good shape for an 80 year old machine. It has been several different colours throughout its life but everything seems to work, except that the chain to the counterweight has been disconnected and so raising the head is very difficult. I have started taking things apart to clean it up and repaint, so, at some point I'm sure I will get to the bottom of the counterweight issue. I would love to communicate with other people who have or have had one of these machines.

Scott
Good afternoon, Scott. When you took delivery of your Triplex, did it have a 'saftey' tag (reading something like "Turn off machine after each use) just below the stamped serial No. 1065 ?
By the way, it appears that the Triplex was patented so the filed drawings will depict the proper anchorage of the counterweight chain. Congratulations for having acquired a rare and exceedingly well machined tool. I have collected a great deal of research and will mail it to you should you be interested. Robert
spro

Post by spro »

Jasper 25. Welcome.