Grizzly G9729 (After Action Report)_

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

LX Kid

Grizzly G9729 (After Action Report)_

Post by LX Kid »

I had my Grizzly G9729 for several months now and have a few comments. I've had soooo many problems with this machine. I guess the best way is to just list my problems.
1. The horizontal feed pinion gear had to be replaced cause it was so pitted and rough operation. The new gear wasn't much better and expensive.
2. The saddle gear box was out of alignment with the lead screw. Had to add .006" to the back side to relieve pressure off the feed rack.
3. The saddle gib adjustment locks were very hard to adjust. They were either too loose or too tight. Made my own adjusting screws with nuts to lock them in place.
4. Horizontal saddle lock screw would not lock and just flop down. Drilled hole in lock shaft and added spring and plunger to hold lock shaft in place.
5. The slop in the feed screws is horrific! This is something that I'm currently trying to figure out on how to improve it. I don't know if they make a ball screw kit for this lathe or not. I don't have much experience in this area. Only thing I do know is they are expensive.

I wish that I still had my Shop Task that I sold to buy this hunk of junk. The Shop Task was made back in the 90's and was really a better machine. Both were probably made in the same factory though. If you have one please chime in on the subject.
toddalin

Re: Grizzly G9729 (After Action Report)_

Post by toddalin »

LX Kid wrote:I had my Grizzly G9729 for several months now and have a few comments. I've had soooo many problems with this machine. I guess the best way is to just list my problems.
1. The horizontal feed pinion gear had to be replaced cause it was so pitted and rough operation. The new gear wasn't much better and expensive.
2. The saddle gear box was out of alignment with the lead screw. Had to add .006" to the back side to relieve pressure off the feed rack.
3. The saddle gib adjustment locks were very hard to adjust. They were either too loose or too tight. Made my own adjusting screws with nuts to lock them in place.
4. Horizontal saddle lock screw would not lock and just flop down. Drilled hole in lock shaft and added spring and plunger to hold lock shaft in place.
5. The slop in the feed screws is horrific! This is something that I'm currently trying to figure out on how to improve it. I don't know if they make a ball screw kit for this lathe or not. I don't have much experience in this area. Only thing I do know is they are expensive.

I wish that I still had my Shop Task that I sold to buy this hunk of junk. The Shop Task was made back in the 90's and was really a better machine. Both were probably made in the same factory though. If you have one please chime in on the subject.

I have the ShopTask Tri-Power and have had my share of problems with it. I hate to think that something could be worse, but know that it is so. :wink:
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

toddalin wrote: I have the ShopTask Tri-Power and have had my share of problems with it. I hate to think that something could be worse, but know that it is so. :wink:
I gotta say though that things are getting better after tackling some of the problem areas. Guess my disgust is that everything has to be worked on before it can be used in an accurate manner. Modification to just about everything to get it into some sort of specs. I would like to make a reverse to be able to cut away from the chuck as well as making left hand threads. (Like I need those everyday! LoL) If I ever buy another lathe it "will" have a quick change box on it. As a hobbyist it will work out fine for my needs. It's not like I have a business and trying to make a living with it cause I'd be starving!!
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Two of the best things I did for it was to make bolts to adjust the gib on the lathe bed and add .006" shims between the carriage gear box at the rear and .002" on the front. This took the "squeeze' off the pinion and rack.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

I have a G9729, and I replaced the carriage gib adjusters with long screws I made from threaded rod, with lock nuts. Much easier to adjust than the original 2-screw arrangement.

Perhaps it is just from a different lot, but all your other problems don't seem to affect me. I use the lathe section a lot, and so far it is adequate for my needs for turning. I was pretty disappointed overall in the milling section. Not that it didn't equal the specs, just those specs are completely inadequate for most of what I want to do. Plus switching between turning a part and then milling it meant I seemed to have an endless stream of mounting/unmounting/tramming and adjustments.

I bought a G0755 milling machine. While it lacks some features I would like to have, the trade-off there was a lot of money, at least for a hobby pursuit. Plus now I walk a part a few feet between milling and turning without all that setup work.

- Wes
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

LX Kid wrote:Two of the best things I did for it was to make bolts to adjust the gib on the lathe bed and add .006" shims between the carriage gear box at the rear and .002" on the front. This took the "squeeze' off the pinion and rack.

Interesting.

When my Y-axis power drive "ended out" and broke the spline shaft, (because the scale was so far off center, but I've moved that), I had to remove the table portion from the carriage box, and there was a "paper" shim in there. When reassembling it, I couldn't get the shim in so left it out and now my Y-axis drags such that the stepper motor has problems pulling it.

I did add table limit switches by placing magnets along the table as stratigic locations and using magnetic reed switches and a BIG contactor to keep this from reoccuring.

I guess I need to get a shim in there.

Thanks.
juiceclone

Post by juiceclone »

like a broken record, but as with anything Chinese, YOU are the quality control. It's been my experience that once sorted out you have a good piece of equipment for a good price.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Just keep on plugging away at trying to make my machine a little better. Today I made a chip shield that is attached to T-Nuts and slides back and forth in the cross slide. I also made a pencil die grinder holder that fits in my QCTP. Still concerned about the rack and pinion squeeze and may be causing early failure of my brass half nut. I dropped the carriage gear box and put .009" shims on four corners and does seem to make it operate in a less stressful manner. Not perfect but better!
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

LX Kid wrote:Two of the best things I did for it was to make bolts to adjust the gib on the lathe bed and add .006" shims between the carriage gear box at the rear and .002" on the front. This took the "squeeze' off the pinion and rack.

Mine was binding especially toward one side and there was a shim that I couldn't get back in when I had to remove the table. Today I cut a shim from 0.010" brass sheet and drilled it for the holes. I superglued it in place so it would stay when I mounted the table to it. This seems like this does free it up a bit.

OK, Chinese engineering at its best...

The shim is a simple rectangle with 4 holes. In theory, this shim should go on any of four ways (left or right, upside down or right-side up). In reality, it only fits in one direction because the holes were never properly centered and the carrier with the collar that slides along the screw that holds the table was matched specific to the table. If you used a different carrier or table, it would have to be made to fit with the other piece.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

toddalin wrote:
LX Kid wrote: OK, Chinese engineering at its best...
It's $1 cheaper than quoted Chinese engineering at its best, it's all about the importer shaving Dollars off the price they pay, knowingly sacrificing quality and not really giving a hoot about quality or customer experience :-(

- Nick
16WhiteColly

Post by 16WhiteColly »

I have had my 9729 since 2004 and Grizzly technical service has been awesome, and I have contacted them many times. Always very supportive, even sent me a replacement motor. I still contact them quite often. Out of the many similar 3 in 1 machines, I think it is one of the best.
40 year retired machinist.