Shoptask 1720

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Keyair

Re: Shoptask 1720

Post by Keyair »

I know... and I am happy.
The seller pointed out that he thought it was broken, and I just agreed with him... I see these for sale on CL for $300-$600 most weeks, so I knew it was a steal, even if it was broken. The knurled ring behind the handwheel rotates concentrically and disengages the handle, that why he thought it was broken.
I will look closer at it today and try to figure it out. The flat blade lever that is at 10pm drops into a detent when you rotate the vice, so I think the index plates must be hidden underneath.
More later..
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Ok, got it!
Not seen one like this before. I normally am used to the ones with multiple plates with spiral holes. Probably a better more accurate system, but for me this will work fine.

Flipped the unit over and removed the 3 capheads in the center of the bottom plate.

Popped that off, and here is where the diving plates go.

Under the plate...

So, I have a set of 6 plates, with 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 12 slots.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

There's a distinct difference between a dividing head and an indexing head. Using the plates, the rotab is an indexing head. If it was provided with multiple holed plates that mounted on the crank assembly, it would then be a dividing head. In that case, the indexing would have to be locked out. So then, the unit can function as a multi-spacer or a rotab. Nice!

For fast indexing, the rotab should be in neutral, allowing the plates to determine proper setting. You should be able to spin the device by hand, using the crank only when using it as a rotab.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Torch

Post by Torch »

I bet it would be possible to replace the crank handle with dividing head plates and crank.

Then you would have a 3-in-1 mounted to your 3-in-1. ;-)
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Pretty happy!
Chuck is 6", and I can see no signs of damage or wear, and based on the grease on the chuck, I doubt it was every used.

I think this one is basically the same...
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Horizon ... huck/H7506
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Wow, its been a crazy week...
Struck a deal with the person administering the Estate Sale that I would help them go thru the mountains of stuff and help them categorize everything in return for first pick of what they did not want.
Here is a selection of what I got... some super happy about, and in the end I got a real good deal by buying a bulk load... I spent just over $600, and some of the stuff will need some "rescue", but I am ok with that!
Bulk of the $ went into the big ticket items:
Hossfeld #2 Bender with Tooling, Columbia 1/2hp 5 speed drill Press, Rotary table(as mentioned already), Craftsman HD old school Vice, Really nice HF English wheel, and about 60 various Books/Manuals, and various small tooling items..

Some notable stuff..
Starrett "Last Word" 0.0001" Dial indicator in box. Need new crystal, but feels good.

Mitutoyo 513 0.0005" dial indicator, perfect, in box.

Indicol #178 new in box.

Various tooling as below..

I also, almost unwittingly ended up with a bunch of stuff that that the seller assumed was parts for what I had already bought, as they were put in the Hossfeld tooling box after I paid, by the seller...
These items included:
A old strut style spring compressor, a 12" diameter South bend lathe faceplate, and 2 smaller faceplates/dogplates, and a 6 1/4" 4 jaw chuck, which was a little rusty, but is a "Horton"!
I will post more pics if anyone is interested...
Last edited by Keyair on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

Yep more pictures please. You did more than well on that indexer/rotary table and all the rest in my opinion.It would depend on the accuracy of the worm and wheel and if the more usual dividing plates were more accurate over those plates yours can use. I wish my rotary table could use those plates as well. A great deal of what's usually needed for divisions can be done just with those notched plates, and there far faster to use than having to use the worm/wheel and the dividing plates. Much less chance of making an error as well.
spro

Post by spro »

The last face plate looks like D3 and I thought they came from a Maximat.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Thanks Pete!
Having problems posting pics because of the size restrictions here... takes me time to reduce to 800 max.
I got a good deal on the stuff because I helped, I think. They were overwhelmed!

I have no idea Spro, but its surplus to my requirements, so if I can ID it exactly, I will sell it to put toward my tooling or maybe a machine upgrade!
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

This one on Fleabay looks identical...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Lathe-Face-P ... SwgApXAmGz
spro

Post by spro »

Sorry. I didn't check what "D" sizes meant. Mine is 3 lug , 9 3/4" dia and weighs 17 lbs. It is built heavy. It has a face with Tee slots and looks more like a rotary table. Different thing.
pete

Post by pete »

If there's partial half moon shaped cut outs machined into each of those pins then it's a D series for sure. I can't quite make out in you picture if it has them or not. It looks like it, and I don't see any other method of it being held to the spindle. The allan bolts make me almost positive it is as well. If your going to sell it then gently de-rust and clean it up first. Then oil it. You'll get a lot more bidders at a higher price that way.

D series is just a spindle nose designation.Chucks, face plates etc are held onto the spindle using cams to pull the item onto the slight taper of the spindle nose that does the actual locating. The cams hold the item so it's locked on. It's probably about the best and most common lathe spindle type used today. It's a German spindle and chuck designation system, but most common lathe spindle types have what's called a DIN number. Googleing that will get you more information about the different chuck and spindle nose types than you'll know what to do with. :-) D1-3 is a pretty common spindle nose for smaller lathes and there's quite a few different lathes that use it. If it was an actual Emco Maximat faceplate it would be worth a premium, but there may be no way to identify it as such. I thought Emco cast there name into there faceplates on the back but I'm not 100% sure of that. I also don't see any balacing holes in that one so I suspect it's not an Emco part.