Shoptask 1720

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Keyair

Re: Shoptask 1720

Post by Keyair »

Spent some time on cleanup today...
Does this clarify things?

Before...

Looking better...
pete

Post by pete »

Much much better. D1-3 for sure.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Busy busy!

The upper wheel on my English wheel was waaayyy out of wack.
I needed to true it, but its almost 9" in diameter, so I had to get creative.
The spindle hole is 35mm too.
I made a mandrill and used the live center pressing a bead-roller die to true it.
Even then I faced difficulties.
The size made me have to work off the back of the toolpost...
My first cut with a HSS bit, just wore tip of the tool off!
Seems the wheel is chrome plated!
Swapping to a Carbide tool, I made a good sized depth cut to break through and made progress!

Some finishing with abrasives gave me a better finish.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Aside from that, I have been busy cleaning up my Estate sale stuff...

Turned this rusty 1/2hp Columbia Drill Press into a functional addition...

Now... my old 'Mini-Me" Drill press will go to my son now!
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Also completed the restoration on the 6" Horton 4 jaw chuck... it's come a long way!

I think I will keep it and make an adapter for the Shoptask and Rotary table as I don't have a 4 jaw...
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

So, If I could ask politely... onto some other stuff, that was in the Hossfeld tooling box, that I need some help ID'ing...

I have 2x of these... about 6" diameter... assume a face plate for a Lathe... but what type?
Backside...

Frontside...

And these two pieces, that I think are called a Follower rest, and a Steady rest?
Any ideas on what machine they are for, as there is no name or marking I can see?
About 7" from bed surface to center...

Would it make sense that these parts would be for a Southbend 10-K... maybe a 14 1/2"?
The reaso I say that is because in the mountain of books and literature I got was a owners manual for that lathe...

I assume that none of these parts will fit my Shoptask, so I will move them on to buy things I need...
spro

Post by spro »

So how's it going ? ..
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Good!
Not much to report recently with the mill use.
Just been working to reconfigure my garage a bit.
Made a rolling table to support my sheet metal machine, and a few other tools.
Sold a few things... Bought a few things!
Igauging DRO was ordered recently, so might need some help with that!
Bee back at it soon!
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

This has been a greatly illuminating thread!

Thanks so much for posting the pictures and questions and especially for the in depth answers! The HSS vs carbide discussion answered questions I came up with nearly 20 years ago when I first got my ShopTask 12-22 3 in 1: I tried some carbide bits thinking it would be a simple thing and save time sharpening as I didn't have a good grinder. Broke every one of them no matter what speed I used!

I have been musing the grinder vs. belt sander question too- answered! Now I know why and what grinder, wheels and dresser to search for. I bought HSS bits years ago and will be grinding them to shape as I clean up my machine from sitting and rusting (covered) for 18 years!

Thanks to all on this thread and especially Harold with his in depth posts in the resource guide! The DRO sounds like an interesting addition to this discussion...
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
TomOwe

Post by TomOwe »

Hi there;
I bought a Shoptask 1720 just after I retired. If your space or money is limited I would recamend it highly. It is not however, A lathe, a mill, and a drill press; it is all three and must compromised to be what it is. But the price is right and it is better made and more Accurate Than any 3-1 machines I have seen.

The 1720 has a larger spindle bore, the hole behind the lath chuck. If you work on rifle barrels or automotive axles, that counts. It takes a 4 Jaw chuck, More accurate, hold larger work pieces. The X and Y, hand wheels are unique in there position, but mechanically it was easier build it that way, Cheaper. The Mill head is not rock steady.
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

Keyair wrote:Aside from that, I have been busy cleaning up my Estate sale stuff...

Turned this rusty 1/2hp Columbia Drill Press into a functional addition...

Now... my old 'Mini-Me" Drill press will go to my son now!
Ok, have to ask, how did you get the drill press looking that good ? Sandblaster ?
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

LOL, looks good doesn't it!

Wiped the whole body down with Acetone, masked it, and spray painted it with Rustoleum silver metallic.
Column, chuck and plate were soaked with WD40 and rubbed clean with a red scotch pad.
Simple stuff!