Shoptask 1720

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Keyair

Re: Shoptask 1720

Post by Keyair »

Today is the day... I am leaving in the next hour. Its a 5hr round trip, about 300 miles.
Gloves, straps, blankets, ply and 2x4's. Check!
Seller confirmed that the column does not extend, but the price is right, so I can live with it until I can afford something better.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Home safe with the unit.
Have not unloaded it yet, as I am tired.

Here are a couple of pics and a video of it running sent me by the seller.

Video:

Didnt spend much time examining it in detail, but a few things I knew and a few things I spotted.

1/ Wiring is scary... functions, but it will need to be done properly.
2/ Needs a darn good clean... what I thought was rust, was some red grease... LOL.
3/ Saddle handwheel is/was plastic and is broken. I have both parts, so maybe I can glue and pin it.
4/ Mill head Column lock lever is broken. I will need to extrat the broken part and make one.
5/ Motor ran fine, and the machine sounds sweet and smooth running in both directions.
6/ The motor had a date that looked like 1986 on it, so probably the original and dates the machine well enough.

All in all, I am happy, for what I paid($300) and it will work better than nothing, which is what I have right now.
He gave me a big box of tooling, with carbide endmills, etc... I will look tomorrow.
Got the tailstock and tool post, but there is a SHARS tilt angle vice on the machine right now.
Last edited by Keyair on Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torch

Post by Torch »

The vise alone is probably worth $50, so maybe you got $300 worth of tooling and he threw the machine in for free. ;-)

Just don't let Harold see that photo of the chuck key left unattended in the chuck.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Torch wrote:The vise alone is probably worth $50, so maybe you got $300 worth of tooling and he threw the machine in for free. ;-)

Just don't let Harold see that photo of the chuck key left unattended in the chuck.

LOL, Torch, That pic was the one HE sent me.... I cringed when I saw it too!

My old Training Manager would have had kittens if I had done that... same if he ever saw a hammer left on a surface table!
Had safety and good shop practice drummed into from 16... I might forget, but I hope I know better!

I dont think I got $300 of tooling... maybe $100, if I am lucky, so add that $50 Vice and I got the machine for $150... but gas was maybe $50.
Feeling good so far tho.
Need to figure out what I am gonna mount this on... I have a big old metal filing cabinet that would work, but will need to add a top to it, as its just sheet steel.

I was thinking maybe 2 layers of ply then an Aluminum sheet top?
spro

Post by spro »

Pleased to read you have the toolpost section. I really didn't know much about these machines until reading about the Shoptask recently. Interesting story, really and how the copies overtook one design, so they improved and went to another. Perhaps focusing on the mount or base, is correct now. When you are learning about its capacities the height and comfort is important. I can't recommend any file cabinet for this. A stand similar to the one shown, that it is attached. Then a small roll around file cabinet underneath so it doesn't take up space when you are standing. You can slam the drawers without effecting the machine. Roll it out and get closer when seated. Face shield or safety glasses recommended.
Looking back, That isn't what I mean for a stand. The front legs would be splayed out, the angles different and corner bracing near the top. I guess that is a carpenter type thing but gets you an open face stand more stable than plywood upon sheet metal.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Good story, and info.

I am just about to get the beast out of the Subaru, so will post some pics and more thoughts this evening...
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

She is out and in my garage, but I will need some more time to clear a space to get it to where is will be sitting until I figure out the best spot.

Here it is in the Subaru, strapped and supported with 2x4's during the ride home.

Lifted it out with my engine hoist, which was still to hand as I had just used it to put the rebuilt motor is this actual Subaru.
Yes, the 300 mile round trip was also its engine break in drive!

Put it on a HD dolly and rolled it into the garage for now.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

A few Pics for comment...

Milling head belt drive and available rpm range.

The broken off Milling head swivel lock lever...

Tailstock and toolpost assembly... the tailstock handwheel is messed up it seems...
Torch

Post by Torch »

The broken lever handle is probably threaded in -- a left-hand drill bit is usually sufficient. Or a regular drill bit and an easy-out.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Here is the tooling I got with the unit...

2 x Live centers, and 2x drill chucks, plus the one in the mill already... makes 3 chucks.
Some T nuts for something...

This pic is the other stuff... some of which I have no idea about... or know but dont know the right name...
Left to right, front row:
Lathe Chuck jaws... Knurling tool... 6 red bits... 5 other turning bits... LH and RH Carbide bit holders and a pack of carbide bits.
Back row, are 5x 8mm end mills... 2x drive dogs.. and various chuck keys, tool post key etc...

Enough to get me practicing at least!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Looks like you got the complete package, plus a bunch! Well done.
And the Suby's rebuilt engine worked!!!
~RN