Question on V10P Mill Screw Pitch

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

len

Question on V10P Mill Screw Pitch

Post by len »

Long after I bought my used Maximat V10P, I realized that the mill head did not match the rest of the machine. That is, the lathe was set up for American (English) use, but the mill head was metric. The mill motor was 220V, 50Hz and has long since been replaced, but I'm still stuck with the metric lead screw on the Z-axis. As far as I can tell, the screw is 1.5 mm pitch, and seems to have a four-start thread. The collar is graduated in 0.025 mm ticks, and there are 15 in one turn, which gives .375 mm travel per revolution.

This seemed like an odd design to me, until I realized that 0.025 mm is almost equal to 0.001 inch, so I've been using the collar graduations as 1 mil. ticks. This is ok for most general work that I do, but the error is cumulative and I would like to install a "proper" English lead screw.

The reason for this post is that I would like to know what the English leadscrew pitch is, and whether it is a single or multi-start thread. My guess is 20 TPI with four starts, but I'm just guessing. If anybody responds, can you also tell me the screw diameter?

Thanks.
Mikey

Re: Question on V10P Mill Screw Pitch

Post by Mikey »

HI Len
MyV10P mill has a .0585in.dia screw, with a 16tpi acme pattern thread.single start.
the dial on the hand wheel numbers 0 to 62.5 per rev +/- 0005
len

Re: Question on V10P Mill Screw Pitch

Post by len »

Mickey,

Thanks for the info. Sounds right to me.

I made a mistake in figuring my lead screw pitch. It's actually a single-start screw with a pitch of 1.5mm. The dial reads from 0 to 15, but there are four divisions between the numbers. The finest division is marked as "0,025". There are 60 on the dial, so each turn gives 1.5mm travel. The numbers are 0.1mm indications.

Anyway, it's metric, and is frustratingly close to a 16TPI screw like in yours (It's actually about 16.9TPI). One of these days I'm going to install a digital readout to solve the problem.

len