central machinery model 5980

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

TGW901

Re: central machinery model 5980

Post by TGW901 »

Thank you Torch! To be more exact, everything turn extremely tight. I believe you’re right on with the congealed grease. I see several lumps of gum-like grease drops at the bottom of the spindle. So, I’m going to disassemble, soak and clean everything up. Again, I’m very grateful to you.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Spray things liberally. Work them back and forth gently, a little bit at a time. Be patient. If you can work some light oil into the joints and rehydrate the old grease, things will be easier to disassemble without damaging force.
TGW901

Post by TGW901 »

Here’s the update... all is working very well now. I followed your thinking, Torch, and it was exactly what you thought. Congealed oil. It took a bit of work and several cans of WD40, but it works. Yay!
Torch

Post by Torch »

Good news, congratulations!
johnem727

Post by johnem727 »

Hi,I know it's been a while since you posted but I have the samme machine without the screw for the spring cover.it looks like it's pinned.I really want to regrease the bearings.can I get the upper spindle and bearings by pulling it out the top?or do I have to pull the drive out first?
Thanks for any help, John
johnem727

Post by johnem727 »

Torch can you help?
Torch

Post by Torch »

I'm not completely surprised that yours is different. There are a lot of variations on the basic design. On my particular machine, that spring cover is a threaded plastic cap and just unscrews. I would, however, hit that "pin" with some brake cleaner just to verify that there is no grease-encrusted slot or allen head in there after all. If it is indeed pinned, I suspect there is room to drive the pin through, especially if the quill is first lowered all the way and locked in position to fully wind the spring. On MY machine, there is lots of room between the spring and the housing.

That said, no, I don't think it is a necessary step. I do think you have to remove the lower spindle first as I can't see any way to remove the upper bearing with the lower spindle's splines protruding out the top.

Again, MY machine will be slightly different than yours. However, I did change my spindle and bearings with the quill mechanism in place rather than remove the whole drive mechanism. I documented that in pictures here:

viewtopic.php?t=93228#p247186

I did make sure that the quill was fully supported and locked tight to avoid damage to the quill gear teeth before any hammering.