3 in 1 Machine Thoughts!

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

16WhiteColly

3 in 1 Machine Thoughts!

Post by 16WhiteColly »

In regards about 3 in 1 machines, I am not the only one that has had problems with the foreign motors. They have reoccuring issues with capacitors, centrifugal switch contact plates and switches. Since I got my 9729 in 2004, I have replaced 1 motor, 1 contact plate 4 capacitors, and at least 5 motor switches. This is the weak link on the 3 in 1, otherwise, it’s a pretty good machine.
40 year retired machinist.
toddalin

Re: 3 in 1 Machine Thoughts!

Post by toddalin »

I put table limit switches on my ShopMaster and these are attached to a "contactor" before the "machine switches" that will break the wall current in the event the table runs to an end. Because the table ruler scale was so far off, the first time I used the power feed, the table went beyond its limit and jambed breaking the spline shaft. I had to fabricate a new spline shaft using pieces from Grissly. I ordered three shafts, but only one would work as the other two were too tight to fit in the recepticle. (Such is Chinese equipment.) Then I had to cut this shaft to the proper length, but was able to use the mill portion to do this.

I will use the machine on/off switch, then flip on the power to the contactor to turn it on. I reverse the process to turn it off. This way the fragile machine switch is not physically breaking the current nor prone to burn through arcing. I think I was starting to have a problem with the machine switch, but it has not been an issue since this change.

BTW, any machine with a power feed and/or CNC really needs table limit switches.