Wondering about feature on Central Machinery T5981

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

MGMorden

Wondering about feature on Central Machinery T5981

Post by MGMorden »

I recently picked up a second hand Central Machinery T5981 machine. I've been cleaning it up and exploring what everything does, but one lever is completely puzzling me.

It's in the picture attached highlighted by the red square. The other two levers control the auto-feed on the 2 axes, but this one I can't figure out what it does. By coincidence the lever also broke off of that one during transport in my truck, but I can still turn it by hand or by sticking the old lever in there. Waiting till the weekend to drill out the hole and just tap it for a bolt that I'll use for a new lever.

Thanks for any assistance offered!
lathe.jpg
Harold_V

Re: Wondering about feature on Central Machinery T5981

Post by Harold_V »

I am not familiar with that machine, but it appears that the lever is for the half nuts, which are used for threading. If so, there's usually an interlock that prevents the power feed lever from being engaged at the same time. I suggest you engage the power feed, then try to engage the broken lever. If it won't engage, that's most likely what it does.

Alternately, at slow spindle speed and with the carriage away from the headstock, try engaging the broken lever while the spindle is turning. If the carriage is propelled, that's what the broken lever is, the half nut lever.

When using the half nuts, be careful to not allow the carriage to hit anything. That generally results in something being broken.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
MGMorden

Re: Wondering about feature on Central Machinery T5981

Post by MGMorden »

Thanks, that does appear to be what it is. I appreciate it!