9729 control knobs

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

John R

9729 control knobs

Post by John R »

The mill head forward and reverse control knob gave up the gost and I'm using a pair of pliers to turn the switch back and forth. I've googled around and haven't found a replacement, yet. Does anyone have a source for replacement knobs that will do? I would prefer all metal rather than plastic with a metal insert that fits the hex shaft like the originals.
Torch

Re: 9729 control knobs

Post by Torch »

You have a lathe an a mill. Make whatever you want!! ;-)
John R

Post by John R »

I can do that, yes, but I'd rather buy if I can and spend my turning/milling time doing other things.

Surely I'm not the only one who has had these little knobs go bad on them?
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Check MSC, McMasterCarr, etc, They have loads of knobs in English and metric. Look under Tooling components,
John R

Post by John R »

I've looked on McMaster-Carr, MSC, pretty much everywhere. You guys aren't helping if you don't have a source (which was my question) please let someone else weigh in.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

One on the plastic caps/knobs on my ShopMaster Tri-Power broke and if you find replacements. I would be interested.

Thanks
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

I emailed ShopMaster and they do have the plastic knobs. So if these are what you need... email them.

From ShopMaster:

There are 2 sizes of the black plastic knobs-
01-21 small size 1.50 each
01-26 large size 3.00 each
Torch

Post by Torch »

John R wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:05 pm I can do that, yes, but I'd rather buy if I can and spend my turning/milling time doing other things.
As you wish.

Personally, I have found it faster to whip out my own knobs than to seek them out, order them, wait for delivery. I could have made a few nice knurled knobs with set screws in less time than this thread has lasted. But to each his own -- this is a hobby, so do what YOU enjoy! :D
John R

Post by John R »

Thanks toddalin I will try them.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Torch wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:53 pm ...
Personally, I have found it faster to whip out my own knobs than to seek them out, order them, wait for delivery. I could have made a few nice knurled knobs with set screws in less time than this thread has lasted. But to each his own -- this is a hobby, so do what YOU enjoy! :D
Additionally, since the originals broke or whatever, new ones could be made from a material that won't break, thus improving the design.

Dave
John R

Post by John R »

I've decided to make some new knobs out of some scrap aluminum rod I have. I'll share what I do after I've done it.
Torch

Post by Torch »

I'm looking forward to seeing them.