Threading on Shoptask Gold Machine

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

pete

Re: Threading on Shoptask Gold Machine

Post by pete »

I've never used that machine before, but if I've got it figured out how the system works. That really seems like a convoluted method of getting around the problem that was completely solved shortly after the invention of single pointing threads on a lathe and is still used on almost every manual lathe made today. A simple and cheap threading dial. Obviously there's no pre warning of when that light is going to indicate when to make your engagement point. As you've found, an instant reaction time is critical. And all that stop/start on any motor really reduces it's life span. All single point threading is just a gear ratio and timing between the spindle mounted gear and lead screw pitch so the tool tip always continues to pick up the thread start in the correct position each time. And unless they used some really odd ball lead screw pitch/gearing combination, then there's in reality very few lead screw pitches used for lathes of the same general size. For smaller lathes set up to cut imperial threads then 8 tpi on the lead screw is one of the more common one's.

If I was really having that much problem getting the lathe to cut threads with the weird design the factory chose to use, I sure think I'd check your lead screw pitch and if it is something common? Find a lathe brand that uses the same pitch and just buy and add either a new or used threading dial to yours. There actually so simple that even a standard spur gear of the correct tooth number and teeth that will fit into the lead screws ACME thread, a shop made body and dial will all work just fine because there's almost zero load. The advantage of a threading dial is you can watch it rotate and it gives an advance indication when the correct spot is about to happen. I can sympathize though, my little Emco C5 uses a non split nut on the lead screw, so the only way to single point threads is to first set up the correct gear train and use forward / reverse on the motor. It works, but after buying my next lathe that does have a threading dial and half nuts I've never cut another thread with it. Again I may have misunderstood how that lathe is arranged, exactly how the set up works, or even if it uses half nuts, so my thoughts might be totally useless. But that is the strangest design I've ever heard of that's being used to cut threads.
lftscope

Re: Threading on Shoptask Gold Machine

Post by lftscope »

Can anyone help me, a new member, to understand the threading lights and where the optical sensor is placed to signal off the spindle? I have all the components but it was never installed. Help!! Thanks.