New owner of 1993 3-in1 Central Machinery

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

gs1100hardtail

New owner of 1993 3-in1 Central Machinery

Post by gs1100hardtail »

Hi all, I have just joined after becoming the owner of a far from new Central Machinery lathe/mill combo. Where I see pictures online with SKU#5980, mine has the following info (Type: L-H0 07, Series: 121, date: 1993 3). Its looks like pictures online of the 5908 except it has automatic feed which i am struggling to find much reference to but then again im only just beginning the search.
There is a lot to read up on and many resources but I do have a couple of questions I hope someone here could answer while I continue my homework.

Parts:
I found the parts list within the manual but how much of these are these still available? The mill has obviously suffered the inevitable motor failure and I guess the previous owner chose not to replace it. Somewhere in the history the motor and spindle pulleys were lost aswell which is the bigger challenge finding something to mate to the taper spindle.

Data plates:
All plates exist but have faded to the point of not being legible. Can these be obtained? If not and probably more inline with my wants, could someone point me to clear images so i can replicate myself?

Thanks in advance. I know i have a project on my hands just to get this thing useable but i cant wait to play about with it once working, even if it will never likely return to its former glory.

Regards

Barry
pete

Re: New owner of 1993 3-in1 Central Machinery

Post by pete »

Only by pure luck would current machine designs use the exact same parts. These machines and a whole lot of others didn't have the best parts support even when brand new. And some of the parts sure weren't made to any interchangeable part size standards.Given the number of machine specific forums etc that are out there, I'd be surprised if there isn't one for yours somewhere. What you desperately need to find is someone with a copy of the user manual. With the known motor HP and rpm and the user manuals listed speed ranges, you then know what your pulley ratios and how many steps it has to have within fairly close limits. Any idler shafts still on the machine will give you the pulley bore size. Since the machine is already in your possession, you can measure where those pulleys have to fit in the limited space available. A multi step belt drive ALWAY'S uses two pulleys exactly the same. One with the largest shive pointing inwards and the other out. That way the belt always fits no matter what ratio is being used. But your other major issue is there may be nothing off the shelf that's a direct bolt up fit. Getting that and having to re-bore or sleeve your new pulley's or existing parts might take a second lathe for the machining. Depending on your own experience are you capable of dialing in parts with a 4 jaw independent chuck and doing your own machining if you can get access to another lathe? If not your going to have to farm that out as well. You'd also need something a lot better than caliper measurements.

Your motor mounting type is also going to be important to re-use what's already there. It could be a face or foot mount. And the Chinese electrical motor designations don't match anything off the shelf in the industry standard North American imperial or metric motor specifications. They have and use there own separate Asian motor standards. If you can figure out what you have and need Grizzly Tools might or might not be able to get you something that has the correct HP, RPM and mounting type. (maybe) https://www.grizzly.com/Parts So there's a bit more to this than many might think.

How long has the machine been sitting and not under power? Depending on the spindle bearing type or even more important lube type they might need pulling and grease repacking after enough years if that's what was used. Chinese machine or not, it's really not a job I'd recommend a new person without any experience and the proper bearing knowledge or even tools attempt.
Torch

Post by Torch »

A popular upgrade is to replace the motor with a 1hp - 2hp DC treadmill motor, converting the machine to a variable speed with more power. Sounds like yours is the perfect candidate.
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

Torch wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:18 am A popular upgrade is to replace the motor with a 1hp - 2hp DC treadmill motor, converting the machine to a variable speed with more power. Sounds like yours is the perfect candidate.
Is converting to a DC motor preferable to a 3 phase motor with a VFD controller?
Torch

Post by Torch »

A DC motor with PWM controller generally has better starting torque than an equivalently sized VFD powered AC motor. (An SCR DC controller has no advantage).
A DC PWM controller is the most energy efficient.
Used treadmill motors are readily available, and as close on Kijiji (or Craig's list if you are south of the border) as the nearest failed New Years Resolution. ;-)

That said, nothing wrong with a VFD setup. I'd go with whichever is available to you for a reasonable price.
gs1100hardtail

Post by gs1100hardtail »

Thank you all for such quick and useful responses. I like the idea of the treadmill motor upgrade and have used such for a home made belt grinder so should have thought of it myself lol. The challenge is the spindle pulley which attaches to a taper with a 1 3/8” to 1 1/2” diameter and hard to accommodate with a 3-4 step pulley. With the variable speed of the suggested set up I don’t need to worry about a 3 or 4 step pulley and can focus on finding a single step one I can stick on the lathe and create the taper.

To the previous response, thankfully all slides, screws and spindles move smooth and tight. All being well it should work once I can drive the mill.
I do have experience in both Lathe and mill work but it has been many years. I am sure I will grow out of this 3in1 quickly but it’s so handy in size and worthy of a second life.