Shoptask belt sizes.

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

sormi

Shoptask belt sizes.

Post by sormi »

Can someone tell me the replacement part numbers for the headstock belts on a Shoptask 2000 . One is missing the other one is so old there are no markings. Thank you..
VelocityDuck

Re: Shoptask belt sizes.

Post by VelocityDuck »

This is what I got from JT recently.
Attachments
COMMON PARTS.pdf
(232.25 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
sormi

Post by sormi »

VelocityDuck .... Thank You for your help....
Misterm

Post by Misterm »

I have a shopmaster 2000 I purchased new. After about 7 years I had to relocate and could not bring the machine with me. I put it in storage for many years. I have recently retired and want to get machine back up in running. I had to remove the motors when I moved it to store. I purchased all new belts according to Jt's list and the Lathe motor belts are given me trouble. Does anyone have a picture of the correct configuration of the High low belt spindle setup. Did not have a cell phone that took pictures 15 years ago. Any help would be great. I have a lot more questions about a lot of other
shop task stuff. What ever happen to that company??
pete

Post by pete »

Can you post a picture of the problem area Misterm? I'm guessing here, you didn't happen to remove any of the pulleys off the drive itself when you first moved it and have now put them back on? To get factual answers, it's helpful to add as much information about what's been done already and what the exact problem is that your having.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

I have a Tri Power. If you think a photo would help, I can do it.
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah it would, unless someone has the exact same machine that can give specific information, then the rest of us that might be able to give possible solutions are at best just guessing.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

I was trying to do high resolution images, but the site wouldn't post them.

pete

Post by pete »

Ok that helps a lot. A bit of an odd set up with that number of belts and pulleys. The motor to spindle drive looks normal enough, but it seems you also have a secondary set possibly providing a power feed to the spindle. Is that correct? Now you need to detail what issues your having. On the surface and from what looks to be going on, there's no belt drive from the spindle rotation connected out to the power spindle feed if that's what it is? If my guesses are correct then you have the belt orientation basically correct. I can't see enough detail that it has them unless it's one of the ones on the front left side of the machine, but almost all belt drive machine tools have a silk screened metal placard or self stick label showing the rpm obtained for each belt position. But with yours and if that's a power feed, and if there on the machine, those placards or labels should give you the correct belt arrangement. Again if my guesses are correct, the primary drive is from the motor to the spindle and is as I said that appears to be correct. But it seems your missing one belt that would (probably) run from the upper pulley groove attached to your spindle and out to the rearmost idler pulley on the rear left as your facing the machine. But you need to verify what your exact problem is. And do you still have the user manual the machine came with? From what I can gather, that power take off seems to only have one belt position for the spindle feed, so unless you have further internal gearing there's only one feed rate available.

I can't recall seeing how that model of 3 n 1 machine is set up before. It's actually pretty rigid with that outer second support for the head. Did you buy this new or from someone else?
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

My Tri Power has manual, power, and CNC feeds on the X and Y and manual and CNC on all three axis.
pete

Post by pete »

Ok, again that wasn't stated earlier. All of that is relevant information. There's a dro showing and no cnc control, yes there's what appears to be a stepper drive on the front lower right hand side of the lathe bed. Without knowing it's also cnc one could assume that was some type of separate add on power feed. As I said "what's been done and what the exact problem is that your having". You started out saying that the lathe motor belts are giving you trouble. Since you posted pictures of what appears to be just the mill drive system, that lead me to think that ok maybe that first post had a typo in it. If all that is working fine then my whole last post was irrelevant. Read what you've posted from someone's perspective who's never seen your machine face to face and the only information so far is a problem with the motor belts but no details about what that problem actually is other than you bought all new belts. With what looks to be two separate fwd, off, and reverse switches on the left hand face of the lathe I again have to assume there's also a completely separate motor and belt drive to the lathe spindle since it does look like the top of one just showing behind the lathe bed. Does the lathe head stock have an access door that opens on the left hand side like the majority of other lathe only machines have? If so take pictures inside of that since inside ot that would be what's driving the lathe spindle. Then in DETAIL list what exact problem your having.
Misterm

Post by Misterm »

I posted my Shopmaster 2000 belt questions on Wednesday. Since, I have been down and out after a medical procedure. Thanks to all who responded. Being a first timer, I realize I may have been a bit vague in my details. I did find an answer to my question. First, I found the exact picture I was looking for. A gent who use to be very active in shop task circles had posted before and after photos of a VFD conversion. Picture 10 is what I was looking for. You can view at www. the -alchemist.com. After seeing the pictures of what toddalin sent I am glad I do not have the Eldorado bridge mill. Wow now that's a lot of pulleys.