Need collet to replace the drill chuck on my Grizzly 3-in-1

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

timsch

Need collet to replace the drill chuck on my Grizzly 3-in-1

Post by timsch »

Hello all,

I need to replace the drill chuck on my Grizzly G4015Z with a collet to hold endmills. I need a bit of guidance on what to look for. The chuck has a tapered end with a 0.95" OD at the large end, 0.8" at the small, 3.4" length and tapped for a 3/8-16 thread.

I read this thread viewtopic.php?f=27&t=111359, so have an idea, but just a vague one. As of now, I don't really know what this machine is capable of mill-wise. No need overdoing the tooling, but would like something to match its capabilities.

I'd guess that MT3 is the #3 Morse Taper like found here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233876959630?c ... ccb9fb4a19

ER collets look to be another animal.

Where to start?
Attachments
IMG_20220620_210026632.jpg
Grizzly G4015Z 3-1
Bill Shields

Re: Need collet to replace the drill chuck on my Grizzly 3-in-1

Post by Bill Shields »

You can get MT to whatever diameter collets.

WHILE ER conversionsx will do what you want, consider the $$ and loss of spindle clearance...although in reality the nose of an ER conversion will not be much different in vertical position than the drill chuck.

For a quick reference you can look to SHARS.com, or CDCO...or Manhattan supply.

MT to fixed cylindrical diameter may be less $ to start with, but you do not have many diameters to choose from. Again, Shars com has a listing to give you ideas.

Were it me, I would purchase an MT to fixed diameter and get a couple of end mills with shank diameters to match and have at it.

The results you get out are not going to be limited by the adapter.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Torch

Post by Torch »

All you really need is called an MT3 endmill holder. I think this is what Bill was referring to. It has an MT3 shank to fit your spindle and a bored hole of fixed diameter with a set screw positioned to engage the flat of the Weldon shank of the endmill. You can buy them in sets of the common shank diameters, or individually as needed.

The ER style collets are more universal -- a set of collets is sized so as to cover all possible fractional sizes within the range of the set. They are more versatile and potentially faster to change, but take up more storage space and are more expensive.
timsch

Post by timsch »

Would an endmill holder like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/123183854761?h ... BMyonogLFg be preferable to a morse taper collet set like this one https://www.amazon.com/New-3MT-Morse-Ta ... r=8-2&th=1?
Grizzly G4015Z 3-1
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Both will work.

If you are short on vertical travel ...😀...the choice is clear.

The type with the set screw hold very well for larger cutters
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
timsch

Post by timsch »

Thanks for the input, gents. Much appreciated.
Grizzly G4015Z 3-1