How to lock in swiveling mill head

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

timsch

How to lock in swiveling mill head

Post by timsch »

I've got a Grizzly G4015Z. How do I lock the swiveling head into position for milling? The locknut for elevation is on the back, but I don't see any locking mechanism for the rotation to swing it out of the way.

Also, what is the large black cover(?) on the side of the head, pretty much in the center of the attached picture.
Attachments
IMG_20220628_193433848_rotated.jpg
Last edited by rmac on Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo Orientation
Grizzly G4015Z 3-1
Bill Shields

Re: How to lock in swiveling mill head

Post by Bill Shields »

Did you look in the owner's manual?

Figure 31 where it says "loosen the locking setscrew....". The next step of reverse logic is to tighten the setscrew...."

Appears to be item 211 (lock bolt) on the parts list...on the left side of the head if the quill is centered over the lathe ways.

The big black thing (according to the manual) is a quill return or balance spring.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
timsch

Post by timsch »

Yes, I've looked through the manual. Fig.31 is the screw for locking in elevation, not rotation of the head.
Grizzly G4015Z 3-1
Torch

Post by Torch »

That locking setscrew should lock both -- preventing elevation and rotation. Personally, I would replace the set screw with a shop-made lever with a handle.
Jon W

Post by Jon W »

Google: Youtube + Reduce Lathe/Mill Head Flexing - Grizzly G4015 Modification
It appears that the head is locked in place only by the left side turn knob that presses a brass bit against the column. That video documents the addition of three bolts to better lock the head into place for milling.
Jon W
Somewhere North of Boston
timsch

Post by timsch »

OK, it does prevent rotation also. I'm not sure what I did last night that it did not.

Thanks for the link, Jon. I'll be looking into that.
Grizzly G4015Z 3-1