Maximat Lathe Capacitors

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Charlie Wagoner

Maximat Lathe Capacitors

Post by Charlie Wagoner »

I need to replace the two capacitors on my Maximat Super 11. Blue Ridge Machinery no longer has them in stock and the manufacturer is no longer making them. The brand name is Kapsch, (an Austrian company I believe) they are large aluminum canisters (6 1/2 long, 2 1/2 wide) and have a threaded portion with a nut at one end for mounting. There are no markings that would indicate they are electrolytic capacitors. From the lathe motor circuit diagram, it appears that the capacitors are used in both starting and running modes.

The specs on the side read:

KAPSACH
Ko7948/B
MKP 100MF +/- 120 V
-25/85° C TT

I’m having a hard time finding suitable replacement capacitors and don’t want to damage the motor etc. with something that might not be an equivalent capacitor.

Question:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a source or know what the issues are in replacing these capacitors?

Thank you for your time in this matter.

Charlie Wagoner
gmac

Re: Maximat Lathe Capacitors

Post by gmac »

most motor rewind shops can get you a suitable replacement with little trouble. the critical points to match are the size ( in mf which is microfarads), the voltage, and the temperature ratings. the actual mounting has little effect on the operation of the cap, and unless you are a purist and need an exact replacement it is unimportant, it would make no difference to the motor operation.

otherwise - search on google for motor start/run capacitors and see what you can find. I got 300 plus hits to look at so yuo should be able to find replacements there.
len

Re: Maximat Lathe Capacitors

Post by len »

Charlie,

If the setup on your machine is like the one on my Maximat V10P (single-phase, 120V motors), then one capacitor is for the lathe motor and the other for the mill motor. The Maximat uses split-phase, permanent capacitor motors, so you need to replace them with "motor run" grade electric motor caps. Other types will work but may not last long. The Surplus Center has motor run caps up to 70 uF. You can parallel more than one to get the right capacitance, or look for another source. It's mainly a matter of fitting a new cap in the box if it's not the exact replacement. You only have to consider three things: the correct capacitance; the minimum voltage rating (anything above about 50% of your motor operating voltage is ok); the correct capacitor type (in this case, oil-filled "motor run"). Nothing to it. But make sure the caps are discharged before touching them or the wiring. Turning the motor on with the power disconnected will quickly discharge its cap, and sure beats the shorted screwdriver trick.

len

BTW, why do the caps need replaced?