smithy metal lathes

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

cypres

smithy metal lathes

Post by cypres »

Could anyone tell about the quality of the Smithy metal lathe, or where could I get a comparison study. thanks
davestea

Re: smithy metal lathes

Post by davestea »

Well there is a real dicotomy where the 3-in-1's are concerned Cypress -

those of us who have them generally love them - those who don't have them pretty much think they are crap.

In some ways you pays yer money and you takes your chances. But if you know what you are getting into and are willing to accept the oddities and deficiencies they work very well. But this goes for just about any machine you buy - no one is perfect in everything. Thos some come close but cost the most.

see aso one of my mods posted in the general section -

http://www.chaski.com/ubb/showflat.php? ... o=&fpart=1

Maybe someone else knows of a comparison chart some where - I don't - you pretty much have to do a lot of the research yourself and ask a lot of questions here.
Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe
MikeMachinist

Post by MikeMachinist »

I cannot speak to the Smithy specifically, but agree with others that those of us who own 3-in-1's tend to like them. They are a good compromise and if you are clever and creative you can do a lot with them. I have yet to find the machining project that I could not accomplish on my machine. If you are new to machining, they are a good way to get started for far less money than you would spend on the cheapest comparable lathe, milling machine and drill press. They are also a good choice if you have a small shop, since the footprint is basically the same as a comparable sized lathe but you gain the functionality of a small mill and drill press.

I happen to own a Grizzly model G9729 (16" swing, 31" between centers) that I have been very happy with. I believe that it represents a good value as compared to the Smithy or ShopTask machines which are considerably more expensive.

Generally speaking, if you are considering a 3-in-1 machine I would recommend:
1) looking at them carefully for the specific features you need (like swing and distance between centers) and buying the largest machine you can afford.
2) looking at the size of tooling (chucks, tapers, etc.) to make sure that it is standard and matches whatever other machines you might either own or be considering. Doing so will help you avoid having to buy multiple sets of tooling.
3) make sure that there is technical support readily available from whomever you purchase a machine from, should you have a problem or need parts or tooling.

I have attached a picture of my machine in action, just to give you some inspiration. Now, go make some chips! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
davestea

Post by davestea »

Mike mentioned one important reason I bought my Smithy. Support. They are right here in the USA and you can get parts within a couple days and help imediately on the phone - e-mail seems to lack, but they really are there to help.
Dave
FredR

Post by FredR »

Could anyone tell about the quality of the Smithy metal lathe, or where could I get a comparison study. thanks

Not having a 3-1 or even standard lathe and mill, I have been under the impression that the 3-1's did not hold tight tolerences like the big brothers. It seems like you would have slop in the MILL more than anything. But I don't know. These other guys that have the 3-1's may be able to clarify this.

Fred
davestea

Post by davestea »

look through or search this site - there is a lot of info here -

some mine - most by others -
Dave