Grizzly

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Scott_K

Grizzly

Post by Scott_K »

I'am looking into getting a 3n1 for doing work with my 1.5 scale railroad. I am considering the grizzly go516. I have never done any type of mill or lathe work, but have day to day access to experience machinist. Does anyone have one and what do you think of it?
Thanks for your time
scott
davestea

Re: Grizzly

Post by davestea »

Scott -

Have you looked at Smithy?

I have a Smithy - while it has limitations, I had an apartment and was lucky to be able to put that in my kitchen eating area. I was able to do anything and everything that I wanted to do with it. Check my postings here with some photos of what I did with it.

Do a comparison - it looks they the Grizzly and the Smithy are pretty similar - you might get more items with the Grizzly. Smithy comes with steady rest I believe. I"ll let you check out there site. www.smithy.com

Anyone out there have one of these?
Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe
GeorgeGaskill

Analyze the kinds of work pieces you ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

will want to make; figure out how big they are going to be; length and diameter for the lathe; height, width and depth for milling projects. Then see if they will fit in the machine. Since you haven't given any detail of the types of 1.5" scale RR parts you want to make, we can only reply in generalities.
Scott_K

Re: Analyze the kinds of work pieces you ...

Post by Scott_K »

Did not mean to leave out the details. I am looking to mill out my points and frogs (3 w x 8 long x 1in. H) for my swiches, wheels(about 4.6 inches dia.) and axles (1 inch dia. by 10 inches) for train cars. Not sure what else I would be doing since I really have just started with the idea.
Thanks
Scott
Preston

Re: Analyze the kinds of work pieces you ...

Post by Preston »

I was in the Grizzly show room the other day and they have a really nice mimi mill that you might want for a good deal. Can stop back in next week and check it out if your intrested. let me know what questions you might want to address on any of there stuff its all on display. Quite a place.