Maximat FB-2 mill

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Mikey

Re: Maximat FB-2 mill

Post by Mikey »

Geday Chris
I'm an "expat" Cairn-site from QLD..now residing in N.Cal.
Thanksfor the extra info ..I'll see if a chinese friend of mine can get some communication going with these people.
Mikey
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hey Chris
Do they list a web address???
cba

Post by cba »

Mikey, have not found a web adress. BTW, I got the TFS brochure 2 years ago from Minitech in Brisbane. Minitech was the importer for TFS machines, but does not list them anymore on minitech.com.au. Maybe if you ask nicely, they tell you if TFS is still in business and how to reach them. Chris
Too_Many_Tools

Post by Too_Many_Tools »

Hi,

You are quite right about the Internet fostering a kinship among others who share common interests. I too thought I was the only one who knew what an "Emco" was.

I did contact the Poseiden importer in the latter days of his effort. The column diameter for the respective mill heads are DIFFERENT so there was no chance for a dropin replacement. By the time one figured the time and effort to deal with a parts kit (which is what the Poseiden tabel was) at the "reduced" price that he still wanted, I soon realized that I would have a very expensive homemade version of a mill drill when I got done. Since I already had a very nice Clausing X-Y table, I concluded that for me using it for a standalone mill setup would be the best route.

And for the record, I seem to remember that I checked into the suitability of using some of the Poseiden's components to support the Emco line and was very disappointed to find that they were all dimensionally different. *&%%..can't anybody even do a straight copy anymore. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/mad.gif"%20alt="[/img] So if someone offers you a deal on some Poseiden parts, make sure to test them on your machine before spending the money.

As for the current status of Poseiden, it would seem that the website is long gone.

http://www.poseidon-usa.com/

TMT
Too_Many_Tools

Post by Too_Many_Tools »

Hi Gep,

Thanks for pointing this supplier out...I did not know that this X-Y table existed.

Unfortunately it doesn't help me. Based on the cost of the table (595 EURO), it works out to be $723 US dollars before I start adding shipping to the United States. Considering that I have the Clausing X-Y table sitting in the shop for a substantially less cost, it still looks like that will be the route that I will take.

Considering how well received the Enco X-Y table has been received in the United States, I do think that there is a market for a X-Y table like this. Of course, the higher price will be a sticky issue but isn't it always. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Too_Many_Tools

Post by Too_Many_Tools »

Hi,

I believe you are correct about where the current red Emcos are made.

I have been told that the current Emco parts fit the older Emco machines by several dealers. Upon further research which simply consisted of having them actually send me measurements of the components, that has not been the case. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, make sure that you actually verify measurements before paying for the "new and improved" parts that are made in Asia....not AUSTRIA...which results in a BIG difference in quality from what I have seen.

My own opinion is that when they don't even know the measurements of the parts in question, how much do they really know about the quality of the product they are selling. I had several vendors suggest that I purchase the parts and test for fit while in return I demanded that they send me the measurements and I would determine the suitability of the part without spending my money on a part that would likely not be returnable.

I note that even getting dimensions was difficult in several instances. To me, this indicated that the individuals in question did not even have the parts in stock but rather had to request the measurements from the factory. I suspect that if you ordered a part or a machine, it would be drop shipped to you from the factory ala the Harbor Frights approach.

In my opinion, the older Emco machines of the 60's and 70's are significantly underpriced for the quality that they offer and other than for the parts situation (which is affecting all used manual machines in some manner) represent the best hobbyist lathe value of performance versus cost that one can find on the used market. The problem is finding one to buy...most lathes will not be sold until illness or death requires the sale.

TMT