Help me pick the right size mill/lathe?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

bph

Help me pick the right size mill/lathe?

Post by bph »

Most of my parts are about 1/2" to 2" in size. Diameters are pretty small .09" - .15 diameter. Tolerances requirements never dip below +/- .001" and usually ok at +/- .005". I'd like to have a little larger machine like the Shopmaster Bridgemill to give me some additional flexibility when I need to make parts that are larger - but concerned this machine may be too large for my standard part size. But if 98% of the time my parts are in the 1/2" - 2" size, should I go ahead and stick with a machine size similar to the Sherline or Taig products?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
PeteM

Re: Help me pick the right size mill/lathe?

Post by PeteM »

Looks to me like you might be most satisfied with a higher quality lathe in the 10-12" swing range, plus a milling attachment, for about the same price and size as a 3-in-1 machine.

This could be either an older used lathe, such as a Logan, Atlas, or Southbend, or a new import, such as Jet or Grizzly. The old iron vs. import debate is well covered in the archives. Since you're dealing with smaller parts, you won't necessarily need more than 24" in length between centers. This opens up more used possibilities. However, if you're buying new, I'd spend the extra bit to get the larger bed.

Either way you go, new or good used machine, a decent 10-12" swing llathe will be far more capable than a Sherline or Taig, and a notch better than the lathe portion in a typical 3-in-1.

Unless you're working on truly tiny parts (e.g watches) I don't think you'll find the lathe too large (which would start to be the case once you start getting above 14" or so swing) or too scary as an starting machine (when you start getting above one or two horsepower). What you do get is larger and easier to read dials, more features, greater rigidity, greater productivity, and the option of doing larger work.

Lathes are limited as mills, but the parts you describe will fit very nicely in the usual milling attachment. So, in the same space as a 3-in-1 you'll get a machine that will likely give you greater pleasure.