Scale on Harbor Freight 3 in 1

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

brittf

Scale on Harbor Freight 3 in 1

Post by brittf »

I mounted a scale on the vertical axis of my Harbor Freight 3 in 1.

MikeMachinist

Re: Scale on Harbor Freight 3 in 1

Post by MikeMachinist »

I am unable to see the items you posted. My browser just shows "X"'s.
jpfalt

Post by jpfalt »

I took the URL from properties and pasted it into an internet explorer session and was able to pull up the photos.

Nice setup!!

I imagine the instant zeroing capability comes in really handy. I have been doing something similar on my Sheldon lathe using a HF 12" digital caliper.
brittf

Post by brittf »

Seems that i violated the "Terms of Service" with Yahoo Geocities and they broke the link to my photos. Working on a work around. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]
MikeMachinist

Post by MikeMachinist »

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]Nice, neat setup. I have seen these scales advertised on eBay in sizes from 4" up to 36" . but have not seen one mounted up yet. I am incredibly cheap and so I have mounted a 1" travel dial indicator to the "Z" axis of my Grizzley 9729 and am using a $20 digital caliper for the "X" axis (shown in the attached photo) and another for the "Y" axis (cross slide), using a setup that I saw in an old Home Shop Machinist magazine article. This setup works fairly well, since the calipers can be easily removed from the machine and can still be used as calipers, while the bracket that holds the calipers can also serve as a carriage stop. Have photos that I can send to anyone interested. I cannot figure out how to post more than one photo to this forum and so am giving up trying..
Chuck U&R

Post by Chuck U&R »

I'd like to do the same to my Smithy.
Can you tell me what kind of scale you used and where I can get one.
Thanx !
brittf

Post by brittf »

I purchased it from Penn Tool Company, part number 303-934. Price was $49.95 plus shipping.

Britt
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Britt:

Very creative !! . I just browsed pen tools online catalog , quite a selection. Here in western Canada we have similar machinery available , just "rebadged " versions of what is available elsewhere , a couple of local stores , House of Tools, carries " Force " machine tools , and Busy Bee Tools, carries " Craftex " machine tools , basically the same as what is offered at Harbour Frieght or Grizzly , I heard the Busy Bee chain of stores and the Grizzly tool stores are run by the same family.Here are a couple of links to show the similarities of these machines.................................................

http://www.houseoftools.com/content/hou ... V32210.jpg

http://busybeetools.com/pictures/B2229.jpg

The first one , is the machine I have , I intend to mount the same scale on it as you have done . For now I am making a dial for the Z axis , one turn on the fine feed wheel = .150" @ the quill.

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/v29/JeffH/Shop19.jpg

It has paid for itself in the first year , soon I'm adding a vertical mill , still shopping , I intend to keep the 3 in 1 , I enjoy having it around .

Jeff

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Chuck U&R

Post by Chuck U&R »

Thanx -
I've got an old Smith AT-300 - metric.
I don't speak metric very well so this will make my life a lot easier.