Question on EMCO Lathe Jaws

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

len

Question on EMCO Lathe Jaws

Post by len »

Hi,

I bought my EMCO V10P lathe used, and it didn't have the outside jaws for the 6", 3-jaw chuck. I always wanted to replace them, but never could find a set new or used, so I resigned myself to having only inside jaws.

Imagine my surprise about two weeks ago when I spotted a pair of outside jaws for a 6", 3-jaw EMCO chuck on eBay; and they were unused! I put in a high bid won them, and I was very pleased. The seller was great to work with and promply mailed them to me.

Now imagine my dissapointment when I attempted to install them on my chuck and they didn't fit! After scrounging around for a couple of years I had found the impossible, and they turned out to be the wrong ones.

Anyway, they are on their way back to the seller, but the question remains as to what is going on. Both the seller and I are now scratching our heads wondering how many different types of chucks EMCO may have made. The jaws actually fit the slots in the chuck body and were the same size as the inside jaws, but had a different pitch scroll thread. It wasn't a tolerance problem; they were definitely designed for a differnt scroll. Anybody run across this problem before?

len
willjordan

Re: Question on EMCO Lathe Jaws

Post by willjordan »

I wouldn't be surprised if there are both metric and imperial versions of the chuck. I know that my V10 is primarily imperial, but I'll bet that the nature of the market was such that there might be metric and imperial chucks as well as feedscrews and change gears.

I have the original chuck for my lathe and the original box for the spare jaws. After I vote and get dinner tonight, I'll take a look and see if there is any clue on the box.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
len

Post by len »

Will,

I think you may be on to something there.

I measured across all the 6 teeth at the back of the jaws and came up with 1.523" (38.68MM), which gives a pitch of 0.254" (6.447mm) per tooth. If you get a chance, I would appreciate it if you measured yours.

len
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I just checked my two 3jaw Emco chucks...one came with my Maxi7 and one with my V10p but both fit on either lathe..
And both machines are inch variants...although I bought them used so who knows for sure how they started.

But now I found that the jaws are not interchangeable!!!??

I only have inside jaws...So had never had a need to swap them.....
where are all those missing parts from these machines?
Hey Len ..Unless there's a third type those jaws will probably fit one of mine. : )
len

Post by len »

Mikey
where are all those missing parts from these machines?

That question has bothered me ever since I got my lathe. Probably left behind in somebody's junk drawer or ended up at the local land fill. What a waste.

I think Harold once had a post on making your own chuck jaws. I'm going to have to look it up.

len

PS, If you're serious about those jaws, here's the seller's email:

Ray Blasingame
E-mail Address(es):
ray.blasingame@sbcglobal.net

Be prepared to pay about $50 for them. Ray is a fine person to deal with. He told me he was going to relist them on eBay.
cba

Post by cba »

I doubt that EMCO made the chucks themselves. My EMCO chucks look identical in every detail to German Roehm chucks, even the size and location of the round company logo. My feeling is that EMCO had them made by Roehm for their spindle nose and with the EMCO logo plate glued in place.

If so, it could well be that some chucks were outsourced to even other chuck makers, which would explain different scroll threads. Chris
willjordan

Post by willjordan »

I found the original box for my chuck jaws has no part number on it, nor any manufacturer. Just says "Made in Austria."
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
len

Post by len »

Will and Others,

Thanks for replying to my post.

Ray has relisted the jaws on eBay and hopefully somebody can use them. Here's the URL:

Chuck Jaws on eBay

len