HF44142 milling spindle turns at 1 rev. per second

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

wlwoodall

HF44142 milling spindle turns at 1 rev. per second

Post by wlwoodall »

Hello forum:

I have had my 44142 for about six months and just recently when turning the mill spindle on, the motor hummed, buzzed and the spindle started turning at about 1 rev. per second instead of the usual high speed.

Has anyone heard of this? Is the motor starting capacitor about ready to go?I waited about five minutes, restarted several times with the same results until it finally started right. I left the spindle running until I completed all my cuts (kind of dangerous, I know).

I appreciate any help. If this is the capacitor, any suggestions on where I can get another?I haven't opened the capacitor housing to see the capacitor values yet, but I can.

Woody in Florida
goodfellow

Post by goodfellow »

Pretty much points to the starting capacitor Woody. Looks like it's toast. Take the motor off and inspect the caps.

Rather than get "long winded", here is the fix for my own machine. Starting caps are relatively cheap on e-bay.

http://bambam.gmu.edu/shop/page113.html
wlwoodall

Post by wlwoodall »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad it's something that simple. I'll have to ebay a couple of capacitors.

BTW, you have a great website. I went to your website a few months ago to see how to change the oil in the 44142.

Woody in Florida
16WhiteColly

Re: HF44142 milling spindle turns at 1 rev. per second

Post by 16WhiteColly »

I have had the centrifugal switch not get up to speed enough to open the contacts on the contact plate and blow a capacitor wide open. The foreign motors are bad about not getting up to speed.
40 year retired machinist.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I'd be careful letting it sit there and hum pole that. All the heat that normally gets blown out is just building up in the coil windings
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

whateg0 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:41 pm I'd be careful letting it sit there and hum pole that. All the heat that normally gets blown out is just building up in the coil windings
True, and it's much worse than that. when a motor is energized and stationary, it is a dead short (that's what they call locked rotor amps), so it draws a huge amount of amperage, so heating occurs quickly. As the motor comes up to speed, it develops cemf, which drastically lowers the current demand, all the while also causing air to circulate to cool the windings.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.