Shoptask owners?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

toddalin

Re: Shoptask owners?

Post by toddalin »

So glad it worked for you, and now I know that if I have the problem with mine, I can rectify it. You owe me a steak. ;)

I assume that you saw the threading instructions that I posted?
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:00 am
Torch wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:12 pm Good point about the material. I really like 1144 stressproof for gears.
Stressproof is a good choice. Machines beautifully and has excellent strength, and can even be heat treated if necessary. Even in the annealed state it just might outlast gears made of gray iron. :wink:

H
Except C1144 is not "stressproof".

Genuine StressProof® is a registered trademark for a product that is derived from C1144. The production of StressProof involves cold-working the base 1144 stock, followed by high-temperature stress-relieving. Secondary operations may involve grinding and polishing for applications such as shafting.

StressProof as received from the mill is a tough material, but with surprisingly-good machining properties. I've found that it machines equally well with HSS, cobalt or carbide tools, although I've generally achieved the best finish with carbide and plenty of cutting oil.

Most C1144 sold by steel distributors is not StressProof and doesn't have the mechanical characteristics of the genuine article. Niagara LaSalle is the only producer of genuine StressProof.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

toddalin wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:47 pm I assume that you saw the threading instructions that I posted?
Yeah. Same as in my owners manual.

That it starts off with "forget what you already know" is an indication of the fun to come. :roll:
Torch

Post by Torch »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:52 pm Genuine StressProof® is a registered trademark for a product that is derived from C1144. The production of StressProof involves cold-working the base 1144 stock, followed by high-temperature stress-relieving. Secondary operations may involve grinding and polishing for applications such as shafting.
Yes, no arguments from here. I was referring to the LaSalle product, not plain C1144.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Torch wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:53 am
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:52 pm Genuine StressProof® is a registered trademark for a product that is derived from C1144. The production of StressProof involves cold-working the base 1144 stock, followed by high-temperature stress-relieving. Secondary operations may involve grinding and polishing for applications such as shafting.
Yes, no arguments from here. I was referring to the LaSalle product, not plain C1144.
TGP StressProof® is my "go-to" material for axles. Unlike cold-finished rounds, TGP StressProof is very straight, as well as extremely smooth, which means I can use the axle as a bearing surface and be confident it will wear well. I did this in the conversion of some Backyard Rails trucks to roller chain drive, with the axles riding on bronze bearings.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
lftscope

Post by lftscope »

Hello, I'm new to this site for 2024 but have had and used a shoptask gold 17-20 xmtc since 1998. I'm looking for some simple assistance on the threading lights option. I have the lights, the pc board, the power supply and the optical sensor. I have never used it but want to now. My issue is I don't know where to mount the optical sensor in the pulley box area. there are no instructions any more and no one at the factory can help. Does any one know where to mount the optical sensor with the small bracket supplied? Is there a reflector tape that is needed and which pulley does it signal from?? Help??
Torch

Post by Torch »

I have never seen one in person, but I believe Shoptask called it the 'Electronic Thread Dial'. A sensor counts lead screw rotations and a series of LED bulbs turn on and off in sequence, much as a thread dial rotates to display a series of numbers.

Most of what I remember reading on the subject involved owners looking for a mechanical replacement option, complaining that the system didn't work very well.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

Have never seen this option and it is not mentioned in my ShopTask Tri-Power Manual.
lftscope

Post by lftscope »

thanks, I believe that i acquired it as an option, but the documentation is missing. I have the optical sensor and the bracket for it but don't know where to install it? I assume its suppose to be sensing the late spindle pulley but where to mount and is there a reflector tape needed for the sensor to pick up? Calling digikey was worthless at this point, may have to call the mfgr of the sensor , it was a QRB1134 optical sensor, the replacement these days is a OPB740WZ.. Any info you could supply will be helpful, thanks.