HF 5980 Spindle Specs?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: HF 5980 Spindle Specs?

Post by Harold_V »

Dan wrote:That is great to hear. I mod on a forum with 30K+ folks and frankly, most folks are mostly good but ya get some people who think they can be unkind or use any sort of language. Hate that. Kids can read this stuff. Even if one uses a nic-name and believes them selves to be anonymous, don't ya own what you say? [/rant]

Bingo!

Our founder shares that philosophy. He had used his creations as a means of teaching his children the ways of the internet. He is a quiet, polite man that prefers a tranquil environment. We do our level best to support him to that end.
I had forgot/didn't know to check "notify me" box below. Just assumed I would get notified, snork.
Chuckle!

Easy to do, especially when exploring a new environment. Looks like you're on the right track now, however. Now if the tool fairy would deliver a half ton of tooling to your shop! :-)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Uber cool and thanks again Harold.

I gotta stop rambling on this guy's thread but really is great to read/hear the founders intent is to share. Really is.

Honestly, getting a bit burnt out on folks ego's and ranting of the "great I am-s"
Takes just as long to type some thing kind as it does some thing unkind. (elsewhere, on the interweb)

Hey and BTW, how do I appease this tool fairy? So far putting the debit card under my pillow has brought nothing! (but bills, snork)
Dan
jameswis

Re:

Post by jameswis »

CLANG wrote: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 pm Hi,

Short-time lurker, first-time poster here. Greetings from WV.

I bought an inexpensive 4" 4-jaw independent from Shars tools for my HFT 5980. I expected to have to hunt up a suitable adapter that I could turn to the correct fit for it. However, upon inspection, it needed EXACTLY the same backplate as the stock 3-jaw. The fit was perfect, except that I had to drill and tap 3 extra holes (utilizing one of the original mounting holes) for the 4-bolt pattern on the 4-jaw. I still intend to get a dedicated backplate for it, but until then, when I need a 4-jaw, I just change out the backplate (after indexing it to both chucks).

I have yet to find a suitable adapter. Briefly considered swiping the backplate from the floor model at the local HFT. (That's a joke, BTW.) :wink:
Do you have the website or maker and part number for the 4 jaw you purchased? I just bought a 6in independent 4 jaw with shallow mounting holes (closer to the inside of the chuck) that are through hole, and use a nut and bolt setup instead of being tapped. My measurements put the holes at 3.5" apart which should fit perfectly on the existing 3hole backplate.

I would really like to get a new spindle for the lathe part itself, just so i can use something more conventional and easy to get parts for.. I haven't taken it apart yet and measured anything to know exactly what will fit, but for anyone who cares to know the exact thread of the one that comes in the HF5980, the Lathe Spindle threads are M42x2... To my knowledge, nobody but them use this tooling size. :(
The website for central pneumatic has a newer lathe that uses the same 4in (100mm) chuck, so I'm guessing its probably the same M42x2 spindle, but idk for sure...

If anyone knows of any parts or location to get a replacement or 2nd backplate that fits M42x2 threads, PLEASE let me know.
Thanks
Last edited by Harold_V on Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove undesirable comment
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Most machinists make their own backplates; you just need the cast iron blank.
I made 2 and they came out very nice, even though my skill is moderate at best.
My spindle is (as I recall) 42x4.
I'm sure about the 4 anyway.
16WhiteColly

Post by 16WhiteColly »

Most drawbars on the 3 in 1 machine mill spindles are 3/8”-16 thread, so any tooling would need to match or another drawbar would be needed.
40 year retired machinist.