4 jaw chuck for HF 44142

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

akraven

Post by akraven »

Here's a update so maybe it can help the next guy . ShopTask got back to me and said they sell the adapter for $24.99 and the 4 Jaw chuck for $99.95. According to them the adapter fits the standard Chinese spindle mount and the standard Chinese 6" 4 jaw chuck. They did say the adapter would not fit other brands of 4 jaw chucks. Thanks again for everyones help. akraven
dunc

have a look

Post by dunc »

visit Little Machine Shop (3w.littlemachineshop.com).
Have a look at item #1175 (4 jaw, 3 inch) or #1697 (4 jaw, 4 inch).
These come with the adapter plate for the mini-lathe. Purchase a set of mounting studs as well.

Usual disclaimer.
jstinem

Post by jstinem »

I ordered a blackplate for my ShopTask form Grizzly. The central register or raised area on the Shoptask spindle is 100mm across and Grizzly was machined for a 101mm register. I re-machined the blackplate to register on the outside edge of the spindle nose disk and it worked fine. Does anyone know if there is an industry standard name for this type of spindle nose, like "D1" or "L1" or....?
thanks
Joe
HiramAbiff

Want a 4 jaw for my Griz 9729 But am More confused than ever

Post by HiramAbiff »

So as always I have to ask all to hang in there with me and maybe I will learn something we can all use in the end.
as many of you know now, I have a Gris 9729. It comes with a 5" 3 jaw chuck and yet the spindle is rated as MT4.
Now, What I really want is a 4" (I could settle for a 6"...) 4 jaw chuck. I have been trying to decide if I want one self centering which would make life easier for most items but would limit me for the 10% of what I feel I might do, where a non-self centering would be aces. Be that as it may, it is a digression, though one I would like to discuss with whoever would like to pick en "educational gentleman's "fight" with me :') ."
So, for now, it still comes down to this: I can get an inexpensive chuck w/p a backplate. The comment was that I could use the one I have and at worst possibly have-to drill three new holes to make their my plate work with their chuck.
What I am getting from this thread is that, this is a bad idea. I get the impression that once a backplate is "married up" with a chuck, there it really should stay. So part of the question is, can I swap backplates between my existing 3 jaw chuck and my potential 4 jaw chuck, or, should I just plan on getting another backplate. In fact, Griz. Gave me a backplate "adapter" for their 6" chuck. Maybe when all is said and done, that;s the way I should go.= I dunno and that;s a big par of the problem.
Next: The spindle is rated as M4. What can't I find a 4 jaw chuck at about 5" and mount it to a backplate (or buy one pre-assembled this way) which was a chuck on one end and an arbor on another end. Should I not then just be able to remove the current backplate and chuck and just tap this new chuck in ala the MT4 taper? Seems like that would make things simple--or does it just plane not work that way.

Man I'll tell you, anybody who lives in this area of CO who wants to spend a day bringing me up to speed just a little more than I am now, will leave with at least a case of beer and some damn fine scotch for the effort.

Either way, as I said before, these posts have been educational if not confusing and my desire to just go get the tools I need--and for what I am doing China imported junk is fine for now--is starting to get the better of me. As such I need a virtual cold shower and come common sense/education sent my way, should anybody wish to take up the mental.

Best of holidays to all.
Hiram Abiff
PS: Also looking for a deal on a live center for an MT3--maybe even an MT4 if the deal on that small part falls through the cracks.
Harold_V

Re: Want a 4 jaw for my Griz 9729 But am More confused than

Post by Harold_V »

HiramAbiff wrote:I have a Gris 9729. It comes with a 5" 3 jaw chuck and yet the spindle is rated as MT4.
They are not related. the MT4 is not intended for chuck mounting.
Now, What I really want is a 4" (I could settle for a 6"...) 4 jaw chuck.
Unless you do nothing but small work, the 4" would probably be a mistake. I would strongly suggest you entertain the 6", assuming the lathe is capable of handling the chuck.
I have been trying to decide if I want one self centering which would make life easier for most items but would limit me for the 10% of what I feel I might do, where a non-self centering would be aces.
Unless you have a tremendous number of identical items to machine that can not be held adequately in a three jaw chuck, a universal 4 jaw is not a good idea. The home shop is most likely to have to make few items in quantity, so the advantage of a universal 4 jaw is not appreciated. There is nothing you can do with a universal that you can't do with an independent, it just takes more time. The time difference, for a one-off, is likely to be 0. If you have unlimited funds, by all means buy the universal. If not, you'll never go wrong with an independent.
So, for now, it still comes down to this: I can get an inexpensive chuck w/p a backplate. The comment was that I could use the one I have and at worst possibly have-to drill three new holes to make their my plate work with their chuck.
It's not necessarily that simple. The backing plate is generally machined to fit the chuck, so it acts as a register. That way the chuck isn't able to shift under load. You may find that the old plate lacks the necessary stock for the re-machining. Also, one does not generally exchange chucks with back plates. They are considered to be a part of the chuck, so each chuck should have its own.
Should I just plan on getting another backplate. In fact, Griz. Gave me a backplate "adapter" for their 6" chuck. Maybe when all is said and done, that;s the way I should go.= I dunno and that;s a big par of the problem.
Only because you lack experience. Armed with my comments, above, you may now have a better understanding.
Next: The spindle is rated as M4. What can't I find a 4 jaw chuck at about 5" and mount it to a backplate (or buy one pre-assembled this way) which was a chuck on one end and an arbor on another end.
Unless your lathe is equipped with a draw bar, that's not a good idea. If you rely on the taper to hold the chuck, it will fail under load. That's what you need-----a 20 pound chuck spinning @ 800 RPM flying towards you.

The center hole in the headstock is not intended to be used for mounting a chuck-----although it will accept a collet adapter perfectly well, or the proper sleeve and center, for working between centers. You may also come up with other uses, such as using a permanent stop in the sleeve, but nothing should be machined on the strength of the friction fit of the taper. It isn't safe, and is not acceptable practice.
Man I'll tell you, anybody who lives in this area of CO who wants to spend a day bringing me up to speed just a little more than I am now, will leave with at least a case of beer and some damn fine scotch for the effort.
Make mine Chivas and water, heavy on the ice. :wink:

See if you can find an old shop hand in your community that might be willing to share some of his experience. There's no better way to learn how these things are done properly than to have one looking over your shoulder. Of course, you're going to be at the mercy of is experience. Some times learning from a "seasoned pro" can be a mistake.

Harold
HiramAbiff

Thanks for the advice.

Post by HiramAbiff »

Harold.

Just a quick note this time to thank you for your advice. Actually, you cleared up quite a bit for me and while disappointing to my wallet, your points were made clearly and that is MUCH appreciated.

I do agree with you with regard to trying to find a mentor of sorts. Living in a smaller town as I do, I have been unable to find somebody local or somebody willing to make the trip "up the hill", etc. Still working on it though. Gotta be somebody hiding around here who can put me back on course once in a while.

Again, thanks & best of the holiday season to you and your family.

Hiram
blekenbleu

Post by blekenbleu »

akraven wrote:Here's a update so maybe it can help the next guy . ShopTask got back to me and said they sell the adapter for $24.99 and the 4 Jaw chuck for $99.95. According to them the adapter fits the standard Chinese spindle mount and the standard Chinese 6" 4 jaw chuck.
Thanks, that helped me somewhat. LittleMachineShop cross-references several Asian "plain back" (not to be confused with plane back) lathe chucks:
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/info/lathechuck.php

The HF44142 5" (125mm) diameter chuck probably has a 95mm registration recess. While LMS sells what it calls backplate lathe chuck adapters:
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/p ... 1110836144

.. converters are listed neither from 3-bolt to 4-bolt of the same diameter nor from registrations larger than 72mm.
They did say the adapter would not fit other brands of 4 jaw chucks.
That seems curious, but LMS does list one converter for 92mm instead of 95mm, which perhaps explains it.