HF 5980 steady follower

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

blekenbleu

HF 5980 steady follower

Post by blekenbleu »

Based on what I have read, steady rests have 3 arms and anchor to ways, while followers have 2 arms and anchor to saddles. I want to turn inside the ends of aluminum tubes around 6 inches long and 1.5 inch OD, using my tailstock-mounted boring bar. So far as I know, rests were not sold for the 5980. I have read about, but not seen, rests for other 3-in-1s. Could anyone point me to images of 3-in-1 steady rests?

It seems impractical to fabricate a steady rest which anchor to 5980 ways, because:
1) milling a dovetail looks hard.
2) without removing the cross-slide, there is little access to the ways when the tailstock is set to turn inside 6 inch tubes.

Consequently, I plan to fabricate a 3-arm rest anchored to the cross-slide T-slots. I don't think there is enough space on the cross-slide for both a rest and the compound slide, so will remove the latter while using the rest.
Alternatively, I could drill and tap holes on the head side of the cross-slide, to mount a rest which could be used with the compound slide and toolpost, which would seem to constitute a follower, except with 2 arms.
kermit

Steady Rest for the HF 5980

Post by kermit »

Ok, guess I'll but in.........I have made a workable steady rest for the HF 5980. I will set it up at work and do a photo shoot of the steps required. But first this is what I did. I found a suitable steady rest that was the correct size for it to work. I mounted it on the tail stock base of the HF 5980. First you have to take the tail stock assembly off it's base. You will see that the base has a large rectangle hole on the top of it. This hole is what I used to attach the steady rest clamp/base into. You must grind the steady rest foot height as required to be on center to the lathe centers. (short talk for do what you have to do, to make it work). Now that this is done, you must remove the cross slide assembly and push the tailstock block with the attached steady rest all the way forward, next to the chuck. Now, reattach the cross slide assy. This now allows you to lock down the steady rest assy. anywhere between the chuck and the cross slide, allowing you to freely make outside cuts or inside boring cuts to any material beyond the steady rest, as your tool post and cutter is now to the right of the steady rest. (you can put boring bar cutters onto your tool post). Ya, I know it sounds complicated, but we have to do what we have to do. My home machine is the Smithy 1220 LTD, it has the steady rest and follow rest attachments that can be used in the traditional manner. Photos to follow..........KERMIT
kermit

5980 Steady Rest

Post by kermit »

This is what it looks like attached. I have the complete photo detail of how I accomplished this. If interested, contact me and I will e-mail you the rest of the story..........KERMIT
Attachments
img_1076.jpg