Newby.. and not decided yet

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

chip

Newby.. and not decided yet

Post by chip »

I am not an owner just yet..
I'm nowhere near machining in my working life (electronics & software) but don't get me wrong... always fixed/made my parts myself, out of no-tools. And ready to jump.

I thought that this be an easy task to fix my choice on a machine...not that so. I started to point at a smaller lathe, then compare, listen to friends and read forums. After a while wanted an integrated mill. Been told the early chinese were a bit flaky, then some are not bad at all. And yes, it all depends as well what the main work you intend to do.

Folks, got to tell ya, what a job for a newcomer like me. Please forget me about that long intro... let's get to the point. I have pretty much narowed it down to 2 options.. quite different plan really. Just need a bit of experimented salt from you folks to find where i am...

(not in order of preference)
Machine A
AT320 at Bolton Hardware (http://www.boltonhardware.com)
The reserve i have is that i could not read any review on this unit. This is from what i can see a less equiped ShopFox M1109 in which there are no review. My down on these... shipping from west to east & across the border.

Machine B
Used Maximat V10P about 200 miles from home so i can pickup.
Machine is said to be in top shape condition. I think the guy is a bit pricey for a old machine 3000 cdn. That is +- USD 2340. His got many accessory that he sell separatly.. +- 2000 worth. His machine is an american version he pick himself south usa and dials show inch... i am affraid i will be "metric limited" with this.

Your constructive comments be appreciated, to help me shead some lights and see what i may not seeing.

BTW ... good site here.
sch

Post by sch »

Generic comments: EMCO makes an extremely high quality machine by
current standards. The price, as you suggest, is a bit high but a search
will show many of these have been happily sold for more than the asking
price here. Sounds like the owner tooled it up but wants a good bit for the
tooling. His price, likely will be less than what you would pay elsewhere
in the aggregate but good idea to search ebay for some idea of prices and
availability. FWIW there is an ebay auction of a V10p going on now with
the unequipped price ~$1100. You will need a quick change tool post as working with the OEM post is a PITA, all kinds of shims to get the tool to
center height, forget a few thousands low.

AT320: The milling option is really an abortion, seems like a good idea but a separate $800-1000 round column mill drill will run rings around
this. Problem is no adequate mill table, unable to fit adequate size vise
for work holding, lousy work envelope. 29cm table to spindle distance
really sucks. Can't drill much over 1/4" size holes unless you use really
short drills: vise 2-3" tall, drill chuck minimum 2" long, drill bit at least
2" long (5" for 1/2" drill) add it up 6-7" minimum out of less than 12" to
start. Unless every work piece is 1-2" thick... Lathe is ok but lack of
QC gear box may be frustrating.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I have some Emco exprerience, so that in itself pushes me toward it. Given the price of machine and shipping, the money is better spent on the Emco. I would try to dicker some and save a few, but new tooling is $ spent anyway, and can easily challenge the cost of the machine. The dis advantage is, you mostly never see tha cost as we generally buy one piece at a time, not understanding that hundreds of $ disappear into the tool drawer to have reasonable capability.

I would ask if I would really use this, or am I just a Tool Junkie. I have seen many unused machines sitting without purpose, except to make the owner satisfied.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
vascon2196

Considering a 3-in-1 machine are ya.

Post by vascon2196 »

I purchased a Grizzly G0516 3-in-1 machine about a year ago. I got into making small stationary steam engines as a hobby and for the price and what it had to offer made it an easy decision to make.

HOWEVER....if I had the cash (and patience) I would have bought a separate lathe and mill. It gets really old really fast when you start a project using your lathe and have to mill a keyway or something and then have to (take the tool post off, clean the cross-slide, attach milling tabel, attach and square up milling vise) and then mill a keyway. Then if you want to part the finished piece off you have to take all of the milling components off and set up again for your lathe. PITA.

I already had the lathe tool post tapped holes strip out on me in a little over a year from the constant back and forth between the lathe and mill.

Also, the milling attachment that comes with the lathe is great for aluminum and brass but steel....it just doesn't have what it takes. If I do have to mill steel I have to take very light cuts (.005 to .010"). Drilling isn't really an issue.

The lathe works great I must say. Changing speeds is a pain because you have to change belts around manually.

To give you a true honest answer (in my opinion) becasue I am a 3-in-1 owner, I would suggest you purchase a lathe and a mill separately. Grizzly is nice because of the price and the tooling is relatively inexpensive as well but if you want to spend the money and get some really nice machines do yourself a favor and get a Smithy.

I am use to my 3-in-1 now but if I could go back, I would have gotten a separate lathe and mill probably from Smithy.

That's my opinion.

Chris