oil for headstock

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Madlord

oil for headstock

Post by Madlord »

hello, i'm going to buy some oil for my new 3 in 1 lathe the model it's very similar to the HF 44142 or grizzly 9729.

what oil should i have to use? do you have a recomended brand like mobil DTE 26 or other can you recomend me?
please i'm very confused with the nomenclture, gear oil ? engine oil? hydrulic oil? diferent viscosities value it's actually the same viscosities, but the denomination it's differents? please HELP!!! just tell me what oil i should buy!!!!, brand and Value please.

the manual said "use No.70 oil or HL-30 gear oil" in the grizzly 9729 manual said "using ISO 68 or SAE 20W nondetergent"

thank you very much
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Don't know about your specific lathe, but for my Atlas, that has Timken roller bearings in the headstock, I think the recommendation was 20 or 30 wt non-detergent, so that sounds reasonable to me.

Steve
Madlord

Post by Madlord »

thank you Steve, but could you tell me the brand and the name of the oil are you actually using, just for refference.

thank you very much for the info
Hank.W.E

Post by Hank.W.E »

I have a the same machine as a Grizzly 9729. I use a "gear oil". It's SAE 85W140. It's sold by motomaster (Canadian Tire).

Some conversation about oil has taken place in this forum, you may want to do a search to find similar topics.

I'm no "pro", but a thick gear oil is my choice. The lubrication of the gears takes place by them dipping in the oil, and the oil coating it. The thick, detergent free gear oil seems to do a good job with my machine.

Here's a link to another thread about oil:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hlight=oil

Good luck!
Hank
Madlord

Post by Madlord »

thank you Hank,

But with the thick SAE 85W140, the headstock don't become hot when you work for a long period of time?

regards
Hank.W.E

Post by Hank.W.E »

I don't know, Madlord. The gear oil I have is made for "superior thermal control". I know you need a thick oil for gears, as the lubricaton is "dip and coat".

If it doesn't work out, or I find a better product, I can always change the oil :-)

When I first got my machine, I drained the oil that came with it. I cleaned it out, and added fresh oil. With chinese made machines, this is a good idea. I flushed out all sorts of stuff during this process. I didn't want any junk left over from the casting process in the gears when I started up the machine.
Hank
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Madlord wrote:could you tell me the brand and the name of the oil are you actually using, just for refference.
Mine is Castrol, but the brand is not that important. It may depend on what you have around where you are. You can get 30 wt non-detergent at your local car parts stores. Old cars use it (ones that don't have a filtration system).

It runs right through the bearings. There are felt wicks in the cups above the bearings to ensure that it runs through slowly. Total loss system.

Steve
Madlord

Post by Madlord »

Thank's Steve and Hank, it's clear for me now, finally i will use Mobil Gear XP 68 or Mobil DTE 26.
Camfx

Post by Camfx »

I have the HF 44142 and have always used ACE non-detergent 30w.
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/%28a3n ... ?SKU=80003 Grizzly recommended it for their version of the 44142.
Madlord

Post by Madlord »

thank's Camfx for the advice
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I bought Chevron Rando HD ISO68 for my lathe and milling machine. The ISO68 is a specification and you should be able to find equivalents anywhere in the world.

Pete
Gently

Re: oil for headstock

Post by Gently »

I use merc marine lower gear oil (Quicksilver 80wt), works like a charm and my gears run verrry smooth,. a click then a hummmmm and its running...awesome!