oil for headstock

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Cannonball888

Re: oil for headstock

Post by Cannonball888 »

16WhiteColly

Post by 16WhiteColly »

In my 9729, I use 30W Non Detergent oil that I bought at Pep Boys. That’s what the Grizzly tech told me when I ask what HL-70 oil was as recommended in the machine manual.
40 year retired machinist.
16WhiteColly

Post by 16WhiteColly »

I have run out of the 30W Non Detergent that I bought from Pep Boys years ago, so I am planning on replacing the headstock oil with 30W Non Detergent Compressor Oil as others have mentioned. I will be going with the Mobil Rarus 427. For sure it will be superior to what I have used in the past, plus I can use it in my air compressor pump. I found a 5 gallon jug on eBay for $23.33 plus $5 shipping. Will never have to buy another jug after this.
40 year retired machinist.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Madlord wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:39 pm hello, i'm going to buy some oil for my new 3 in 1 lathe the model it's very similar to the HF 44142 or grizzly 9729.

I'd use straight SAE30 non-detergent oil. Avoid multigrade oils, as they use additives to get the higher viscosity rating, resulting in an oil that is actually inferior in lubricating properties to a straight grade oil.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Torch

Post by Torch »

I use Amsoil "Super Shift" synthetic transmission fluid.

I figure it's for gears in high-torque applications. And temperature stable for those mid-winter days in a cold shop. ;-)
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

What the detergent does in detergent oil is the same thing it does in your laundry - keep the crud in suspension.

That's fine and dandy of you have an oil filter, or in the case of the washing machine, a drain, because it means that crud isn't going to come back to haunt you.

Older cars (e.g. Ford Model A) don't have filters and rely on gravity (it's not just a good idea, it's the law).

Particles settle out into the pan and don't continue circulating. The oil change interval on a Model A is 500 miles with scraping out the pan every 2,000. Of course the oil they were using was only slightly removed from whale oil, but the important thing is it was non detergent whale oil :-)

If you use detergent oil and it's not a total loss system where the oil just flows thru, the oil will be holding onto the crud and running it thru your bearings.

Steve