Motor Getting HOT on 3 in 1!!!

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Madlord

Motor Getting HOT on 3 in 1!!!

Post by Madlord »

Hello, my new 3 in 1 arrives, but when i try it fist time only few minutes, 5 or 10, the lathe motor get HOT really HOT, i stop it when i notice some funny smell, like burn paint, some body have the same problem?

please any help will be appreciate

thank you in advance
turkeywire

Post by turkeywire »

Sounds like you let the magic smoke out of the motor this is a bad thing. Seriously sounds like the motor burnt up. I would call for warranty repair.
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

Complain to the dealer immediately.

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
Madlord

Post by Madlord »

oooppss, it was a direct import from china manufacturer, i guess it's a little bit hard to claim, cheap thing usually cost more!!.

any other sugestion?

thank you
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

check and see if it is connected for the correct voltage you are using. If it is not ,correct and you may be lucky.
www.chaski.com
mechanicalmagic

Madlord wrote:any other sugestion?
After following John Evans' suggestion,
Complain to the manufacturer immediately.

I assume you got a Guarantee/Warranty, use it.

If you used a Credit Card for payment, call the CC company and check their policy on denying payment, based on defective merchandise.

Dave J.
spro

gettin PRETTY HOT HERE!!!!

Post by spro »

Yeh but we can't talk politics. Is that a cap-start type motor? That narrows it down for the real experts who may read this. If it's not what happens sometimes is the starting field which is less wound doesn't disconnect via the centifugal switch when the run field is energised. So the motor runs but is fighting itself and usually the start field will burn out first. This is a warranty item and many suppliers know this. Heaven knows what you will find(because if like me you're itching to take it apart) inside the thing but most likely some damage has already occurred.
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

Ok, a couple things.......

Motors USUALLY get pretty hot, even running with no load. But usually it takes longer than 10 minutes.

There are smells and there are smells. A smell of varnish and solvent is reasonably normal for a new chinese motor or transformer.

A smell like burnt stuff is not so good.

How "hot" does it get?

Motors come in various "flavors" Single phase motors may have one capacitor, two capacitors, or no capacitors. Each capacitor is usually a "bump" on teh outside of the motor.

One capacitor is usually for starting only, and the other for running..

if there really is a problem....

Chinese products are known for reversing stuff, and it;'s possible the capacitor that is supposed to be DISCONNECTED at the start, has been hooked where it is always in-circuit, basically swapping teh start and run capacitors. That would heat up stuff, although I'd expect the capacitor to have troubles like going "pop".....

or the switch might have failed, and left the capacitor in-circuit. Again, I'd expect a loud "pop" pretty shortly.

Again..... how hot does it get?

Does it hum?
joegib

Post by joegib »

Check the motor supply terminal settings as John Evans says. According to the Net the Peruvian mains electricity supply is 220 Volts at 60Hz. Did you give the supplier those specifications when you placed your order? If not, the supplier might have assumed the supply specifications in South America are the same as for North America and provided an 110V motor. Motors supplied for hobbyist machines in the USA are generally set up for 110V operation. If the settings are wrong, change them. If you're lucky the overvoltage may not have caused caused substantial damage.

You want a solution, not an intercontinental wrangle.

Joe
Madlord

Post by Madlord »

thank everybody for your comments, the plate in the motor said 220V 60Hz, as i request, but i don´t know if it´s correctly connected, somebody have the wiring for this motor, the model it's exact like the grizzly 9729.

i already send the claim to the manufacturer, and nothing yet.
Madlord

Post by Madlord »

the motor have 2 capacitors, but how i know if the start capacitor still running with the motor?

How hot, i can´t touch it with my bare hands, i put a wet wrap on it and i hear the water crepitation!!! i guess it pretty hot uhh!!

i try it this morning and still running but only for few seconds, in both directions, i remember when i try it before i notice the motor get hot, y hear a strage noise like a vibration, but i don´t identifies where, i don't know if it's from the headstock or the motor.
mechanicalmagic

Madlord wrote:thank everybody for your comments, the plate in the motor said 220V 60Hz, as i request, but i don´t know if it´s correctly connected, somebody have the wiring for this motor, the model it's exact like the grizzly 9729.

i already send the claim to the manufacturer, and nothing yet.
Griz Manual here:
http://grizzlyindustrial.com/images/manuals/g9729_m.pdf

The wiring does not seem to have any options.

If you turn the motor by hand does it seem hard to turn?

Dave J.