Hello, new owner. G9729

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

jabber

Hello, new owner. G9729

Post by jabber »

Hi. Wanted to introduce myself and like so many others, throw out a question.

I have some small machining experience and I just bought the aforementioned tool.

I am currently searching for "bring home" cleaning procedures and finding bits and pieces.

Is there a comprehensive thread to show at least the minimum of what I have to do to have this machine well lubricated, up and running?

I am going to use a discount store citrus/degreaser on the ways and slides, and lube with air tool oil.

30w oil for the gearbox, kinda not sure for the external gears though...

What other places am I missing?

Thanks, ... sorry my post is long.

Good machining to all.

Jabber
Harold_V

Re: Hello, new owner. G9729

Post by Harold_V »

jabber wrote:I am going to use a discount store citrus/degreaser on the ways and slides, and lube with air tool oil.
My personal choice would be either Stoddard solvent, or mineral spirits. That way you won't introduce water to areas where it may not evaporate readily. Not suggesting your idea won't work, it likely will.

Regards air tool oil, that's not a good choice for sliding surfaces. There are oils formulated expressly for such surfaces, which provide the ability to stay in place, and to reduce, or even eliminate, slip-slide issues. Air tool oil may not serve well

A familiar name in way oil is Mobil's Vactra, typically #2. Should you make the decision to buy that particular product, insure that what you buy is intended for sliding machine surfaces. Mobil, some time ago, changed the formulation for what was Vactra, for the printing trade. It is not as well suited for way surfaces as the product that they introduced in it's place, intended for use on machine tools. Sorry, I do not know the name of the new product, but it should be available from many sources, especially machine tool supply stores. They may even call it Vactra, thus the confusion.
30w oil for the gearbox, kinda not sure for the external gears though...
There are preparations in spray cans that work wonders on open gears. They are a mixture of solvents and lubricants, so they are water thin when dispensed, but quickly evaporate, leaving a thin film of very sticky grease that doesn't sling. I have a can of Keystone 423 Open Gear Grease, but I have been lead to believe that they discontinued that particular formulation. Others are available, however, so a search for open gear lubricants should yield a viable solution.

Hope some of this helps.

Welcome to the forum!

Harold
gunboatbay

Post by gunboatbay »

FWIW, if you decide to go with Mobil Vactra way oil, Enco usually has it on sale for 14.95/gal, either #2 or #4
jabber

Post by jabber »

Thanks Harold_V and gunboatbay...

I just started early this morning wiping off the gunk with paper towels, haven't got to the cleaners yet.

Your advice is appreciated.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

WD-40 and ATF are my personal favorites for cleaning.