HOOKED!

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

shepdog

HOOKED!

Post by shepdog »

Well, spent the week and weekend tearing down my B229...everything that could come off the lathe bed did, and every gear dissasembled from the crossslide, apron autofeed whatchamacallit....

Then, oof to Walmart for battery charger...bucket with rebar, switch on....nuthin'. "SMART" charger my behind, doesn't it know I'm trying to run electricity into a big bucket of water? :lol:

Back to Wlmart, old fashioned dumb charger, with 40A .....= Shiny parts, fast!

Plus, 9 new light fixtures out in the man cave so I can put it back together nights after work....gonna be a fun winter! Today: Off to Princess Auto for a radiant heater for the ceiling! 8)
jagwinn

Post by jagwinn »

I don't understand most of what you wrote!!!

Explain the water/bucket/electrocution part!

Measure once, measure twice - outsource it.
shepdog

Post by shepdog »

Electrolysis!...Intimidating at first, but all the resources on the web convinced me to give it a shot...not a spec of rust left on any of my lathe parts....
jagwinn

Post by jagwinn »

Ah! Adventuresome to say the least...sort'a like the first man to eat and oyster.

Measure once, measure twice - outsource it.
gunboatbay

Post by gunboatbay »

Shepdog,
I agree with your recommendation for the electrolysis technique. I scored a great buy on a large cast-iron tablesaw a few years ago, that had a rusted table. I had to do the top a square-foot at a time because of the size, but it was almost like new after I finished and waxed it.
shepdog

Post by shepdog »

Yeah, I was pretty happy once I got it working...my reference to the smart charger is that they don't start the electricity flowing unless they "sense" a proper connection to a battery, which doesn't exist in an electrolysis set up (if the red and black don't spark when you touch them, won't work for electrolyis)....

Once I sorted that out, i was happy I went overkill on the charger (ie 40 amps). Although everything I've read says 2 amps is emough to start the process going, it was noticably faster when switched to 40 amps.

Just sprund for a couple of ceiling radiant heaters this morning, get them installed this week so I can toil away all winter on my new hobby! :D