New member with Emco FB-2 and V-10

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Mr. Goodwrench

New member with Emco FB-2 and V-10

Post by Mr. Goodwrench »

Greetings all. I just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I am an almost retired self employed machine tool repairman. Recently, a local machinery dealer whom I do a lot of work for, took in a V-10 without the milling attachment and also an FB-2 stand alone mill on an original stand. The mill was sold new to the customer about 15 years ago but never used. It is BRAND NEW. Unfortunately, the owner died without using it. Because of my long relationship with the dealer, they sold both machines to me at a "sweet heart price".
Since I am wanting to retire and spend more time doing things for myself, this was a deal I absolutely couldn't turn down. Both machines came with quite a bit of tooling although I had to buy a new set of collets for the mill.
I know there will be a ton of questions about machining procedures I will dream up and I am willing to exchange my knowledge of machine tool repair for answers. So, I will end this long narrative by saying I am looking forward to more reading and interaction with you all.
spro

welcome

Post by spro »

I hope you like the experience here. Nice machines. many of the others are very knowledgeable about these. Carburators are near a lost art these days. I did a few Toyotas more recently and I'd swear they were much more fiddely than a big honkin Carter 4barrel. Think it was Carter or maybe Rochester AFB, on a '58 Cad.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Retiring and starting my garage machine-shop has been the best experience I had in my life. Second to managing a rock band during my late teen and early 20's.

My passion is still doing 3D CAD, but now I can benefit from both skill.
I do not machine anything of medium complexity without creating a model.

Scrapping a part has always bugged the hell out of me, and have not scrapped many in my life time. So I put it first on 3D CAD, like this next project that I am not sure if I am bitting more than I can chew! :shock:
(About 90% complete)
Attachments
12 HP engine model-4.JPG
12 HP engine model-1.JPG
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
spro

Post by spro »

Dang. How big is that flywheel, Jose ?
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

9 1/2" spro.

I started 3D modeling from an old set of hand drawn set of drawings.
The way the develop drawings in Europe sucks, they must have twisted minds !! :roll:

The more I modeled, the more intimidating its got.

All I have left to model is the parallel movement links for the piston rod, the linkages for the steam valve mechanism and the gears that operate the governor.
I would like to find some gears of the right size so I don't have to make them, though it will be a challenge to machine them, all beveled ( 5 ea.).
The ones at the flywheel need to have a 3:1 ratio.

This will be my first stem engine if I get to actually do it.

I have been modeling parts for about two months (not full time).
Making the drawings set will take way more than that.

Sorry for hoarding this thread.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa