Just broke my G4015Z

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Doc Hoy

Just broke my G4015Z

Post by Doc Hoy »

For those of you who may not be familiar this machine has a casting which goes over the toggle that engages and disengages the lead screw follower. It is what holds the follower in place. Without it, no X axis control. Turn the lead screw handwheel all day long and nothing happens. :cry:

Called up Grizzly and ordered the part (called a cover) plus the two screws that hold it in place.

Total 7.00 in cost plus 7.50 shipping. I'll be back in business in about a week. :)

I think what happened is that one of the retaining screws that hold the cover in place, backed out and allowed the cover to get crooked when I was advancing the tool. Since the follower was not being held tight, the follower bound up and as the lead screw continued to turn the follower itself tried to go crooked which broke the cover. One of the two screws is bent and the cover is shattered. Follower and toggle lever is fine.

Might want to check those screws for tightness.
Tnx,

Doc

I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday. ~Abraham Lincoln