New owner of L-H009 and have questions

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

rickou812

New owner of L-H009 and have questions

Post by rickou812 »

I just got a used Central Machinery L-H009 like the one listed at KMS tools as model MAG-LH009.

I need this machine to do some simple machining of transmission parts.
The one I purchased is used and did not come with any tools and is mission the lathe chuck.

Where can I purchase the chuck and other misc. tools for this machine. Tried doing a search, but did not find much.

Thanks for any help,
Rick
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Central Machinery is the name found on many of the tools sold at Harbor Freight. You may enjoy success checking with them.

Welcome to the forum!

Harold
rickou812

Post by rickou812 »

Thanks Harold,

I am a mechanic, engine, transmission builder, etc.. but have never messed with metal lathes or mills. So I am sure I will be spending a lot of time here learning from those of you that are willing to teach a newb :oops: .

I have always wanted to learn about metal lathes and mills, but live in the country, so do not have any machine shops close by to visit. So here I am.

I know the machine I have is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to either lathe or mill. But I think it will do what I need it to, (at least for now).

I will machining aluminum apply pistons out of various automatic transmissions.

With all that being said, I am not sure what I need for tools. I know I will need a chuck for the lathe, as that is what I will need to use to chuck up the pistons with. As far as tools for cutting, I have no idea..lol
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rickou812 wrote:I know the machine I have is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to either lathe or mill. But I think it will do what I need it to, (at least for now).
The quality of the machine may or may not have an influence on any given task. It's not uncommon for a talented machinist to turn out good work on less than perfect machines. Besides, on this forum, you are not judged by your machine, nor would that be acceptable.
I am not sure what I need for tools. I know I will need a chuck for the lathe, as that is what I will need to use to chuck up the pistons with. As far as tools for cutting, I have no idea..lol
It's tough starting out if you have no experience. Just understanding the principles of how and why a tool cuts can be confusing.

It would be in your best interest if you could find someone locally that can show you some of the basics, at least to help you get started. Once you understand a few things, the rest starts falling in place. I might suggest you look around for hobbies that might include machining. Model locomotives, for one. Model engines of all kinds as another. There are often clubs associated with these hobbies, so ask around.

I will recommend that you avoid the use of insert carbide tooling. Learning how to grind HSS (high speed steel) is a great way to gain the necessary knowledge in regards to cutter geometry, and it allows you to see the results of changes in the grind. It is also a very economical way to machine. It's perfectly suited for the home shop, although not recommended for CNC operations.

There's no shortage of people that are able to advise you on this forum, so don't hesitate to ask questions if you're stumped.

Harold

edit: corrected punctuation
Last edited by Harold_V on Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rickou812

Post by rickou812 »

Thanks again Harold, appreciate your help.

Rick
DENedbalek

A tutorial

Post by DENedbalek »

One place to start in picking up enough knowledge to start using your machines is here: http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/library.html
Dwayne
gunboatbay

Post by gunboatbay »

If you have any kind of high-speed internet connection, I recommend you view the machining videos at the following site in your spare time. Some of them give you a real 'hands-on' feel for the use of machines that you may not be thoroughly familiar with. I think there's 11 videos and I believe some of them are over an hour long:
http://techtv.mit.edu/search?q=machine+shop&x=23&y=15
rickou812

Post by rickou812 »

Thanks! :D
Looks like some excellent links!!

Rick