boring on the emco v10p

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

niedz

boring on the emco v10p

Post by niedz »

greetings,

was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on some boring tools that will fit well into the toolpost of the V10.

after looking in grizzly and MSC, it seems like most boring bars have a large diameter shank, which doesnt fit well in the tool holder.

i am doing some light small boring, so i was thinking maybe i could just heavily relieve a 1/4" blank toolbit. the only problem with this is i have very little experience grinding tools. no time like the present to learn, eh?
Harold_V

Re: boring on the emco v10p

Post by Harold_V »

niedz wrote:i am doing some light small boring, so i was thinking maybe i could just heavily relieve a 1/4" blank toolbit. the only problem with this is i have very little experience grinding tools. no time like the present to learn, eh?
It is generally accepted that small holes are bored with hand ground toolbits. It's a skill that is mandatory if you hope to not be held captive by commercial tooling. It's not nearly as hard as it may appear, but do expect a small learning curve. No better way to see the results of your efforts than to try the tool. When it doesn't cut well, look at it carefully to see where it's rubbing. Be mindful of relief, and rake, where appropriate. No negative rake for HSS.

Harold
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

I make my own boring bars from literally anything I have at hand ... that be a broken end-mill, tool bits, a round bar with a silver soldered carbide insert, etc.

For larger diameter boring bars I made this simple holder.
One for 1/2" and one for 5/8"
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hp?t=76591
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
niedz

Post by niedz »

thanks guys! very helpful.