New Maximat V10-P Owner!

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

MikeA

New Maximat V10-P Owner!

Post by MikeA »

Hello all,

I've been a member for a few months, having rebuilt an Atlas 618 lathe and a Benchmaster MV-1 vertical milling machine. (I need to post some photos before/after.)

Started my machine shop late in life, as many do, after raising a family, earning a living and not enough time.

I took delivery on a Maximat V10-P today at what I feel to be an extremely good price! Came well equipped and with a number of extras, including threading dial and an extra drive motor, as well as the milling head and loads of other necessaries. It's pretty cruddy from long use but sounds great and all the important things are solid, such as condition of the ways, the all-important fiber/steel composite gears (like new and have a complete set on spares) as well as a Bison 6" 3-jaw with replaceable jaws and a Rohm 102H Mk 2 live center.

Loads of stuff and I'm looking forward to learning all about this machine. Any suggestions, help, advice are always welcome.

I'm hoping to start the cleanup this weekend and will post photos as I go along.

Best,
Mike
Better is the enemy of good enough!
niedz

Post by niedz »

welcome to the club!

i am also a newer owner of a V10P.

it has been quite enjoyable!
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

So am I.
It's been my dream home use lathe circa 1973.

finally found one three years ago made in 1979 in almost new condition, now I love it even more :lol:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hp?t=76253

About giving you all you ask it may be better for you to post as you need questions asked.
Last edited by Jose Rivera on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

Hello Jose and Neidz,

Thanks for the welcome! From what I've been reading over the last few days while trying to decide to buy another restoration job, those who have these machines love them and wouldn't consider giving them up.

Mine is pretty rough around the edges, having spent most of its life as a 'travel lathe' accompanying workers to installation sites for printing equipment.

As often happens, those who don't own a machine often don't take care of it, and this one has been neglected for quite some time. Lots of grunge and accumulated fines from decades of service. I don't think it got much actual use but also didn't get a lot of TLC.

Started the cleanup this morning - went through a gallon of mineral spirits and several boxes of industrial wipes, but the worst part of the grunge is now gone and it's looking better and better. The photo shows some of the buildup of fines/swarf that had filled the cross slide lead screw trough - I was wondering why it was so stiff moving! I've attached another photo of the trough cleaned out to show how much swarf had accumulated.

Lots of little things that need attention but as they say, 'the bones are good' and this should be a good machine for me.

Best,
Mike
Attachments
Swarf/fines buildup in cross slide lead screw trough
Swarf/fines buildup in cross slide lead screw trough
Swarf cleaned out
Swarf cleaned out
Better is the enemy of good enough!