Building my own 3in1

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Steve S

Building my own 3in1

Post by Steve S »

I have a 12" x 36" Atlas . Been thinking of mounting a 6" Atlas bed parallel to the 12" bed and mount the milling mast to the carriage (or making my own carriage) ... The idea is to give it range from the chuck to the middle of the 12"s bed length , while being or traveling in center line of the bed also .

Steve S
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Get yourself a stand alone mill or if you have a second spare lathe spend your efforts on mounting what you was thinking on a X-Y table instead.

I have a 3 in 1.
Frustrating to need the lathe when you're using the mill-head or vise-versa.

Also the lathe carriages are designed to take down forces. Milling will keep pulling your carriage up. The harder the material the worse it gets.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Hey , Good insight !

OK next idea :
Use an old say Bridgeport table . mount it inverted and then the mill mast to the "cross-slide" . The power feed could be used to run the mill left & right behind the lathe bed .

Other Ideas ?

Steve S